18. Healthy Baby, Unhealthy Relationship

"You ready?" I ask James, knocking on the door to his little office room. 

"For what?" He asks, looking up from his computer screen, absolutely cluless.

He forgot. Of course he forgot. Lately he's been so engulfed in his company that he's barely had time for me or Sofia. "The scan, remember?" I remind him as politely as possible. I don't want him to think I'm annoyed at him, because I'm not, I'm really grateful that he's working so hard. I know that all this hard work is for me and our babies; but that doesn't mean he can slack off when it comes to going to the scans.

"Of course, of course." He says, trying to convince himself more than he's trying to convince me. "I've just got a lot of work to do, I'm not sure whether I can leave right now, gorgeous."

I sigh before replying, "no worries, I'll just get Taylor to take me." 

"What?" He asks as if not believing what he's just heard.

"Well that's what he's here for, right?" I tell him, wondering what's gotten into him all of a sudden. "To help out when you're too busy with work."

"You know what?" He starts, standing up from where he's sat. "I'll get my assistant to push back my next meeting, I'm sure they'll understand."

"Won't you get in trouble?" I ask him as he makes his way towards me.

"I'm CEO, I can never get in trouble." He smiles cheekily, walking out of the room and down the stairs to grab his coat and keys. "And beside, nothing's more important to me than you and our children." I smile at him warmly as he places a kiss on my forehead. "Come on, let's get going."

"Sofia!" I shout, "Come on, we're going to be late!" She instantly comes running down the hallway, coat and shoes already on.

"Ready." She beams, taking hold of my hand.

~*~

"So how was everything at the scan?" Taylor asks as we walk through the door.

"Yeah its all good." I smile as James helps me take my coat off. "Nothing to worry about, both babies are looking healthy."

"That's great." Taylor smiles in return. 

"Yeah, it is." James adds, taking his own coat off now, but gets distracted by Sofia pulling on his arm. "What is it, Sofia?"

"You promised you'd help me with my homework." She reminds him, and I can tell by the look on his face that he forgot that too.

"I did, didn't I?" He reminds himself. "Right, I'll help you then I'll get back to work." And with that, the two of them head upstairs, leaving Taylor and I alone in the living room. 

"So, two healthy babies?" Taylor asks again, "Baby boys? Baby girls? One of each?"

"Not telling." I reply in a slightly teasing tone. "The only people who know are James, me and Sofia. Everyone will have to wait and be surprised."

"Boring." He jokes with a cheeky grin, then pats the seat next to him, gesturing for me to sit down, so I do. He leans towards my baby bump and starts to speak. "Your mummy is being really mean to me and wont tell me what you are. So how about this, kick if you're twin girls." He waits but nothing happens. "Twin boys?" But yet again, nothing happens. "One of each?" But unfortunately nothing happens. He sits up and looks me square in the face. "Vee, you sure you're pregnant?"

"Maybe I've just eaten too much food and everyone just thinks I'm pregnant cause I've gotten really fat." I laugh, "or maybe they just want to help their mummy keep this a secret."

"God, they're just like you. I thought one Violetta was bad enough." He jokes, causing my jaw to drop in mock annoyance and I immediately pick up a pillow and start hitting him with it. "Hey, no fair, I cant hit a pregnant woman."