When Summer Ends - Chapter 8

Copyright © 2012 Isabelle Rae.   All rights reserved.

                                                             Chapter Eight

Almost two hours later we were done shopping and went to get some dessert from the café in the middle of the shopping mall. I’d honestly tried not to think about Will as I was browsing the stores, but he just kept popping back into my mind. Every time I saw a nice shirt I thought about buying it for him, or when a guy walked past with brown hair I would check to make sure it wasn’t him. I really was obsessed.

Just as we were done with our cake, someone tapped me on the shoulder. My eyes flicked to Amy who was looking behind me with a flirtatious smile. I turned in my seat, looking behind me, seeing that Sam, Will’s brother, was standing there grinning at me.

“Hey, Chloe.”

“Oh… um hey, Sam,” I greeted uncomfortably. My eyes flicking back to Amy as I tried to hide my worry. Does Sam know that Will and I have broken up? What if he accidentally says something about him being a teacher in front of Amy?

“How have you been? Long time no see.” He smiled his cheeky, make all the girls melt smile. It reminded me so much of Will’s smile that it made my stomach ache.

“I’ve been good,” I lied. “Er, Sam, this is Amy. We go to school together,” I introduced, putting plenty of emphasis around the word school, secretly trying to tell him not to mention anything in front of her. “Amy, this is Sam, he’s Will’s brother.” I waved a hand between them both.

“Hey, nice to meet you,” Amy said, smiling flirtily.

Sam turned on the killer charm, his eyes seeming to sparkle as he regarded her with barely contained interest. “And it is definitely nice to meet you,” he replied, winking at her. “So, are you going to leave me standing here all day, or ask me to sit down?”

I sucked in a ragged breath, already wishing this meeting was over. It was like walking on eggshells.

“Sure, sit down,” Amy offered, patting the seat next to her.

He smirked at her and went to sit there before turning back to me. “So you and Will broke up, huh?” he mused, cocking his head to the side, looking at me curiously.

I gulped. “Yep,” I confirmed, shrugging, trying to pretend it didn’t feel like he was killing me with a plastic spork.

He frowned. “It’s a shame, you two were cute together.”

“Can we not talk about it?” I snapped. I instantly regretted it. There I go taking it out on others again! “Sorry, I’m being all snappy and bitchy today; I didn’t sleep very well last night so I’m taking it out on everyone.”

“You didn’t? You need someone to volunteer to rock you to sleep? Because I’m definitely up for that,” he teased, smirking and waggling his eyebrows at me suggestively.

I laughed despite the awkwardness of the situation. “Shut up, flirt, I just broke up with your brother. I don’t think I’ll be as quick to take up with another cocky, overconfident, brown haired pervert.” I stuck out my tongue at him. He laughed quietly.

Amy bent down, picking up her purse and shopping bags from the floor at her feet. “Chloe, we’d better go, I need to get home, I’m babysitting for my brother tonight,” she interrupted, shooting me a regretful look.  

I nodded and stood up grabbing my purse too. “Nice to see you again, Sam.”

He nodded. “Yeah, listen, you want to hang out sometime? As friends? Catch a movie or something?” he asked, smiling sympathetically.