When Summer Ends - Chapter 7

Copyright © 2012 Isabelle Rae.   All rights reserved.

                                                         Chapter Seven

We were playing soccer today so I changed into sweats and a T-shirt, pulling on some sneakers and heading out with the rest of the students to the hard courts that were situated around the back of the school.

I didn’t like sports; I was a little accident prone. I wasn’t clumsy or anything, I didn’t fall over all the time, but I usually ended up getting hurt if there was any sort of physical game being played. Today was no exception. I went in for a tackle at the same time as a guy from my class, and ended up going face first into the ground. Luckily I got my hands up so I didn’t totally face plant, but I ended up scraping both of my palms pretty badly. I hissed in pain and pushed myself up to sitting.

Oliver, the guy that I tackled, came over immediately, crouching down next to me. “Dammit! Are you okay, Chloe?” he asked, looking at me apologetically.

I nodded and let him pull me up to standing. My hands were burning. I turned them over to see they were bleeding from lots of little cuts and scratches, there was dirt all mixing in with the blood and what looked like a couple of little stones under the skin too.

“I’m fine, Olly, don’t worry this is a regular thing for me,” I said dismissively as I used my T-shirt to brush some of the dirt from my hands.

Mr Andrews, the gym teacher, came over and restarted the game to stop people gawking at me “Go wash your hands, Chloe, maybe you should see the nurse to check all the dirt comes out,” he suggested, wincing at my palms.

I nodded and headed to the nurses office, sitting there as she cleaned my hands with cotton wool and used tweezers to pull out a couple of little stones before rubbing some foul smelling pink antiseptic cream over my palms. After she was finished I went straight back to the locker room, changing out of my gym clothes instead of going back out to play.

The rest of the morning passed so fast I could barely keep up. Why is it when you’re eager for something, the time takes forever to pass, but when you don’t want something to come, it takes no time at all. It’s like time is torturing me or something.

When the lunch bell rang I grabbed my bag and headed to Will’s classroom. The door was already open, but thankfully he wasn’t there yet. I let myself in and wandered to the desks at the back of the room. I chose the one next to the window and pulled out my iPod. I forced my mind on to anything other than him. I shut my eyes and put my hands on the desk, palms up, hoping that they would stop stinging soon.

A couple of songs later my music stopped unexpectedly. I snapped my eyes open to see Will hovering in front of me, frowning.

I scoffed and ripped my headphones from my ears, throwing them on the desk angrily. “Don’t tell me, I’m not allowed to listen to music in your detentions,” I spat sarcastically.

He smiled sadly. “You can listen to music. I just wanted to know what happened to your hands,” he said softly, nodding down at them.

I clenched my hands in fists. Why is he suddenly being nice to me? He can’t be all ‘this never happened’ and shouting at me one minute, then acting nice again the next. That’s not fair.

“That’s none of your concern, Mr Morris.” I shoved my headphones back into my ears, a little too harshly to be comfortable, and turned up the music so loud that it made my ears ring. We glared at each other for a few seconds then he looked away and put something down on my desk, before walking off to the front of the room and plopping himself in his chair. I watched as he pulled out a file and started to write, ignoring me entirely.