Chapter 6- New Friends

You wakeup to faint beeping sounds and the steady drone of electricity, you sit up realizing that you were drownding in your own blood the last that you remember. You hear the beeping get more insistent as you start realizing what happened up until then, you feel like the world is spinning around you "Luke!" you scream "LUUUUUUKKEE!" you scream again.  

You start panicking and try to get up but alarms start going off which only makes the world spin more, you try to breathe but it feels as if there's someone standing on your chest.  Spots start appearing in your vision "Luke!" you shout/scream "Luke, luke, luke" you say repeatedly, you hear people shouting and moving  around you but it all fades to a faint murmur.

"Oww" you say tiredly you move your head to the left and see Luke nearly in your face "Aaah!" you shout his eyes pop open, "Oh sorry I didn't realize you were sleeping".  He looks releived and rubs his eyes "Its fine" but you can tell that its not because he looks like he hasn't gotten sleep in days. His are are red and swollen ringed with dark purple half moons and his skin has a tint of yellow to it, you look at him and say "You look like you've been through hell and back".  He looks at you like you've gone insane and for some reason you start laughing and then you can't stop and after a while he starts chuckling and then outright cracking up, he smiles and for the first time you see actual joy which lights up his face.  You hear yourself inhale quickly and you just look at him in amazement, the beauty of his face is breathtaking and all you can do is stop and stare at him.

"What?" he asks as he realizes you aren't laughing any more he looks really confused "What?" he asks more insistent this time, you let out a breath you didn't realize you were holding and blink "Um nothing".  He raises an eyebrow as if to say 'yeah right' you swallow hard "So what's going on the last thing I remember I was flying through the air and- -", he clears his throat and looks at something above your head. "When you hit the brake on your wheelchair you were flung and you hit a wall with metal plating in it, and I guess something impaled one of your lungs and you made your arm worse". "The thumb bone and ringfinger bone are fractured and they had to reset your arm again."

"What!" you screech he winces "The doctors said that you should try to stay calm because any increased heart rate might rip the stitches they had to put in your lung", you can feel your pulse picking up. "How long have I been out? what punctured my lung and where is that beaping coming from?" you ask in a rush.  Luke looks worried "You've been out for nearly 5 days, They don't know what punctured your lung and thats a heart monitor you just didn't realize it was there until you started getting upset because it beeps more insistently".  You take a deep breath and slowly exhale "Okaaay What happened to you?", he shakes his head "Nothing I've just been here taking care of you when the doctors aren't in here checking your vital signs and stuff".

 A knock at the door snaps you out of your reverie you see a head of black hair slowly peep out form behind the door.  A cute tan boy smiles widely and says "Aaah the beauty awakes" you laugh "I wouldn't say beauty but to each his own" you remark.

Luke looks flabergasted and gives the boy a sharp look like 'back off' the boy just laughs at him. Luke clenches his jaw and says "Miranda this is Calum he's a old friend of mine", you smile and wiggle your fingers at him.  Luke looks super peeved and pretends to answer a text message, Calum looks at you with mischeif in his brown eyes.  You give him a questioning look and tilt your head he just grins and moves to the right of your hospital bed, he leans down and whispers in your ear "Miranda when I give the signal pull the blanket over your head". "Why?" you ask he just shakes his head and counts to 5 on his fingers when he gets done he shouts "GIGGLY PUFF!", you immediatley pull the blanket over your head.

You hear the slam of the door and the shouting of teenage boys assualts your ears. You dare to peek from a gap in your blankets and see 2 teenage boys attacking Luke with silly string. You laugh at the sight of Luke's distress his face looks so strained that you wonder how his face is still in one peice.

The boys laugh and envelope Luke into one huge bearhug he looks none to happy about the whole charade.  As you watch Luke stand there with his arms at his sides you laugh and realize his reason for staying with you at the hospital, Calum clears his throat loudly and says "Mikey! Ash! I thought I taught you better".  The tone of his voice is playful but his words are scolding both boys look at him with big goofy grins on their faces and let go of Luke.  You barely have any time to roll to the other side of the bed before Calum is crushed into a humongous hug and the boys falls over onto half of your bed.

"Oh there's a lump" announces one of them you snort thinking of how stupid one had to be to not notice you lying almost in the middle of the room.

"Aaah! the lump made a sound" says a different voice and they all land with a thump onto the floor.  You sit up and fix your blankets hastily "The lump has a name" you say angrily "And its my hospital room you've been crashing around in so show some respect".  The blond-haired boy looks quite shell-shocked and then says "Wow I can see why you didn't want to leave Lukey-pukey the lump is gorgeous", you put on your best 'you just offended me' face but before you can say any snarky comments Luke clears his throat very angrily.

"You better watch what you say Ash otherwise you might get a fist in your face" Luke says in a menacing voice.  The blond-haired boy looks quite terrified and manages to squeak out an 'ok', after what seems like a very long pause the boy with the red hair clears his throat and asks cheekily "Who're are you dearest?".  You look at him and say "I'm Miranda and you are?" the boy smiles and bows "I'm Michael but my friends call me Mikey" you laugh at his quaint manners.

 Luke looks very unhappy and claps his hands "That's enough of the introductions for now get this mess cleaned up before the boss woman gets here".  You give Luke a look and proceed to pick silly string off of your blanket.