James

October, 1st, 2550AD

I bolted upright in bed, my bangs stuck to my forehead with sweat.

"York?" Whispered a voice from beside me, though it came from inches away, it sounded muffled and distant. The only sound clear to me was the pounding of my heart in my ears.

"I.." I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in attempt to slow my heart. "I'm alright, just another nightmare." And that was half the truth.

I had a nightmare, yes, but I was far from okay. You see, I'm an orphan, have been since my parents died on a business trip across the galaxy when I was thirteen. I'm twenty now, and nightmares of my parent's death still haunt me.

"York... Are you sure?" I looked over at the person talking, and slowly my eyes adjusted.

His name was James, he had blonde hair and blue eyes that could melt your heart on the spot. Sometimes he slept with me, because he knew that I was struggling at night with sleep.

I nodded and ten minutes later, I convinced him to go back to sleep.

After that, I waited about half an hour to be sure James was asleep, and got out of bed and went down stairs to the kitchen. I found comfort in the cold tiled floor, and quiet living room where my roommates, male and female, had passed out while playing video games.

It was peaceful, and slowly took my mind off the nightmare.

I made coffee and sat at the bar, that separated the kitchen and dinning room, clutching at the warmth of my mug as I closed my eyes.

"It was just a dream, York." Said the gentle voice of my little sister Daeris, when my mug was no longer hot.

She had approached me silently, as she always managed to do. I smiled wearily at the short brunette and looked into her dark brown eyes. You could never tell what she was thinking, no one could.

She reached up a pale hand and rested it on my own, hers dwarfed in size. She was never a strong girl, nor met the standards of 'average' in her doctor's eyes.

"I'm here for you brother, don't worry. Nothing can hurt us now, as long as we have each other!" She smiled, a pure white and straight toothed smile.

"I know, Daeris, I have you to protect me." I replied, and ruffled her hair.

But she looked up at me seriously. "You've always protected me.. This is the least I can do."