Awakening

The sound of a clock silently ticking was the first thing Skai remembered hearing at that place in time. Nothing but the ticking could be heard from behind his shut eyes. Skai shifted a little and felt something soft and warm encasing his body. A blanket. And beneath him was a mattress. 'A bed?' He thought. 'Where am I?'
Skai opened one of his tired eyes and peeked around. Indeed, he was in a bed, but more expansively, a room, small one at that. Two windows lined the wall he faced with morning light peeking through the navy blue curtains.
Skai opened both of his eyes and cautiously sat up. He looked to his right and saw a door that was slightly ajar. 'Whats going on?' He thought. 'I don't remember being--'
Skai stopped.
He didn't remember anything that happened. Everything was a whirl of memories in his mind but none of which he could make out.
Skai pulled of the bed sheets. He hadn't realized up until now that he wasn't dressed in the clothing he previously had. Now he wore baggy blue jeans and a white t-shirt.
Skai took another good look around the room. He didn't recognize any of it. 'Im dressed in human attire...this room looks too much like a humanly environment...' He pondered. 'That can only mean--'
Suddenly, the bedroom door opened fully. A middle aged women stepped in, holding a tray of food. Bleached blond strands of hair passed over her brow as was the rest of it pulled back into a right knit ponytail. Though her aging features showed clearly, it couldn't block out her defined beauty.
The woman smiled at Skai. "I see that you're awake!" She said.
Skai shot up out of his bed. "Human!" He exclaimed, backing up. Skai began to turn the atmosphere of the room darker.
The woman looked at Skai with surprise and slight fright at his outburst. She lightly set the tray on the bed and held up her hands cautiously.
"It's alright, you have nothing to fear," she said softly.
Skai backed right into the nightstand, knocking over the lamp. He soon backed into the corner.
The atmosphere darkened.
"Stay away!" Skai snapped.
"It's okay!" The woman said. "I won't hurt you! See?" She felt around her pockets and looked back up at Skai, giving him a warm smile. "Nothing to fear. Completely harmless."
Skai hesitated a little. 'Should I trust her? She's a human! I can't! But...why she acting this way towards me?' He pondered. 'Was she the one who brought me here.'
"Hey, I had a decency to give you some warm clothes and something to eat," the woman said, placing her hands on her hips. "So I deserve a thank you."
Skai still stood his ground. "W-who are you?!? Why are you helping?!"
She sighed and looked him in the eye. "I'll explain everything but please, do eat."
After a minute or so of trying to make up his mind, Skai cautiously walked back to the bed, keeping his eyes on her.
She motioned for him to sit. "Go ahead."
Skai ever so slowly sat down. He suspiciously looked down at the tray of food.
The woman smiled childishly. "It's not poisoned," she said, picking a grape from one of the dishes and plopping it into her mouth. "See?"
After some long minutes, Skai finally succumbed and began to eat some of the food given.
The woman plopped down on the bed and intertwined her fingers together. "Well I think it's time I explained a few things," she sighed.
Skai wiped his mouth and look at her with a hint of curiosity and suspicion. "Where am I? And who are you?" He asked.
She took a moment before she began to speak. "I'm Rona. Rona Johnson," Rona said, looking around the room. "This is my house." She laughed a little. "You're probably wondering why a human brought you of all people, an infected, here."
Skai gave her look to proceed.
"I found you deep in the woods behind my home. You were unconscious but I managed to get you to safety."
Skai rubbed the back of his head. Everything was making sense now. He was being chased by those...humans.
"But there was this massive dracobird," Rona continued, "largest I've seen in my lifetime. He seemed pretty keen to protecting you. Is--"
"Eos," Skai said. "His name is Eos. Where is he?"
Rona laughed a little. "He's down in my garage resting. He'll be fine, don't worry."
"Why did you save me?"
She went silent. Skai felt impatient about her absence of not answering the question.
"Well?!" He asked. "Why didn't you kill me?!? Humans hate infinities, don't they?"
Rona took in a deep breath. She shifted a little and looked at Skai in the eyes. "Because I see you infected as no different from us humans."
Skai's expression softened a little. 'Thats what Braus said...is she telling the truth?' He thought.
"When I found you, you had three bullet wounds in you," she began again. Rona's eyes narrowed a little. "Who was chasing you...? And why?"
Skai looked away, avoiding eye contact with her. "They were hunters," he said. "Human hunters."
Rona nodded a little. "I see, I see."
A long silence ensued from her realization of the situation. Rona sighed and patted the bed. "Well you just make yourself at home, sweetheart. I'm going to go head back to my work, okay? I'll be right outside if you need me. But I think you should stay here a little while longer to get some rest. From what I can tell, you're probably heading somewhere important."
Rona stood up and walked to the door. She stopped in the doorway and looked back at Skai.
"I must have lost it today!" She exclaimed. "Please excuse my rudeness but I never asked you what your name was!"
"Skai," he replied.
Rona nodded and smiled. "Nice to meet you Skai."
She turned back and walked out, closing the door behind her.
Skai waited a couple seconds before the sounds of Rona's foot steps faded away. He got up off the bed and walked to the window. A gray cloudy haze hovered over the hills and trees, completely expressing an intensely dull atmosphere.
'Shes just like him...'