A Glimpse of Eden (A Short Story)

A Glimpse of Eden

Based on a Dream (18OCT2012)

                I was awakened by the familiar message alert tone of my phone.  I fumbled for my mobile and drew it near my face.  My half-opened, strained eyes glanced at the screen and with a click on the screen, the message was loud and clear.  My hometown was in peril.  Peculiar mobsters ganged their way to Parroquia de San Isidro Labrador.  The crowd was allegedly members of the cult trying to create a portal to open the gates of hell to earth.  Strong chills ran up my spine as I looked at the name of the sender; it was my wife.  Although safe at home, my family was just a few blocks away from the riotous event.  Like I can do something to stop the revolt, I wanted to go home as soon as possible.

                As if jolted with a couple hundred watts of electricity, I stood up and prepped to leave.  Two beeps from my dive watch reminded me that it was already oh-two hundred hours.  Planning on a quick travel, I packed my camelbak military rucksack with 3-days worth of clothes, and other necessary paraphernalia.  A quick shower felt like hours as I was very anxious to go home.  I wished not to wake my co-workers in their sleep so I crept silently in the bedroom where my roommate snored loudly.  I left a note saying I needed to go home for an emergency.

                The highway seemed lonely as I waited for the morning bus.  I was riddled with unease as I walked back and forth while repeatedly looking at my phone, waiting for a reply from home.  I have replied almost half an hour ago and I haven’t received any message since then.  My shoulders repetitively tense and relaxed as I breathe heavily.  A deep trembling in my throat weakened me slowly, my knees slightly buckling and my hands, like fresh out from a refrigerator.  Five, no—ten minutes have passed and still, no bus in sight.  I paced to and fro more frequently, looking at the watch every now and then.

                After another three minutes, an almost empty bus stopped and opened its hydraulic door to give way to a hailing conductor.  I stepped hurriedly inside the vehicle and settled for the fifth row.  The driver lazily drove the forlorn morning roads.  A text message has arrived as we were cruising along Arayat-Cabiao boundary.  It was from my spouse, saying that the streets are getting worse and everyone was advised to stay indoors.  She also mentioned that military are currently being deployed within the town.  I wondered why even the police cannot contain the tumult.  A follow-up text arrived, saying that the cultists were reported to have demonic powers so she wanted me to go back to Mexico.  My eyes trembled, tears trying to seep out as I was thinking of ways to get home.  I replied, ‘I need to get home to you’. 

                A very loud thud suddenly knocked me unconscious.

                Moments later, I opened my eyes.  Bitter darkness welcomed my sight.  Still wondering what happened, I rose quickly from the damp, cold earth.  Beside me, I saw my backpack and picked it up.  I waited for my pupils to adjust for the darkness before I moved forward, without any sense of direction.  And then there was a small prick of light around a hundred meters ahead.  Nippy winds bit my exposed skin whilst I ran towards the glimmer.  As I approach the light, a familiar melody sounded louder and louder.  I soon realized that the light was coming from my phone; someone was calling.  Seeing that the caller was my wife, I quickly slid my thumb on the screen to answer.  Broken words and frequent static are all that I’ve heard as I repeatedly said ‘hello, what’s going on’.  A busy tone ended the call.  I cried in distress. 

                Shortly, a very weak growl came from nowhere.  I scanned the surroundings, trying to figure out where the noise came from.  The snarling sound drew nearer and nearer but its echoing sound masks its point of origin.  With goosebumps crawling up my shoulders, I ran directly to where I am facing.  This was a fear I have never felt before.  Scuttling sound like that of a running hyena was keeping up behind me.  I zigzagged my path, supposedly to confuse it.