cinq

October 31st

Tatum stood in on the front porch of Eric Yorkie's home and watched the front door with a small smile

Tatum stood in on the front porch of Eric Yorkie's home and watched the front door with a small smile. She watched as Eric snuck a couple extra pieces of candy into Avery's little bag. The child was dressed as Alex the Lion from Madagascar.

She watches closely as he tumbles back to her and shows her the bag. She smiles and rubs the 4-year-old's head. He giggles and tries pushing her hand away. Tatum picks him up and they walk to the next house, waving goodbye to Eric.

"Where do you wanna go next, bubba?" Tatum asks him, carrying him in her arms.

"Home," he says simply, looking towards the way she was walking them.

"We can go home and watch some movies."

"YEAH!"

●○●

The two sat on the couch, watching Hocus Pocus, when Tatum's phone rang.

"You have no idea how many kids are dressed up as Victorian vampires here," Jasper says right away. She could tell that his voice held a mixture of amusement and annoyance.

"It's just me and Avery so I'm gonna put you on speakerphone," Tatum says, suddenly smirking. "Unless you're anger is that great because Avery's been repeating stuff lately."

"It's alright. I've got to check up on my little bug anyways," Jasper sighs. Tatum presses the speaker button and Avery immediately starts blabbering without knowing who's on the other end. "Buggy?"

"Ja-per!"

And that's how Tatum lost her phone.

●○●

It took her an hour before convincing her nephew to let her talk to Jasper.

"Hello, Jasper."

"Hello, Tatum."

Silence. They didn't know what to say.

"I'll be in South Carolina over Christmas," he hints.

"Where in South Carolina?" she asks, smiling softly.

"I just need you to promise something before giving the town," Jasper says. She didn't know if he was teasing or not.

"Okay, but why?"

"There're some nomadic vampires in that area. If you go, I have to be with you at all times," Jasper says seriously.

"I promise," Tatum says. She could tell that Jasper was smiling even though there was no video. "Now, where is this place in South Carolina?"

"Andersonville, South Carolina. Just call me if you want to visit," Jasper says before laughing softly.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing," Jasper says unconvincingly. "Just thinking about your questions a while back."

"About vampires?"

"About my cowboy stuff."

"Do you have it?" Tatum asks.

"No, but it's in South Carolina."

"Then I'll 100% be there this Christmas," Tatum says.

"How about New Years? You should spend Christmas with Avery and your dad this year," Jasper says, sighing into the phone.

"Oh shit, I forgot about that!" Tatum says, ignoring Avery's shushing. "Dad's been taking it so well that I forgot she even left!"

"That's not normal, Tate."

"And when have I ever been normal?" she asks him sarcastically. She can hear him chuckle, making herself smile softly. "But, yeah, that's a good idea."

"December 30th. You fly to South Carolina and I'll pick you up. Maybe go touring a little if it's not sunny. Sounds like something familiar," Jasper says slyly.

"Our Seattle date? What're you talking about? That was my favorite date!" Tatum defends.

"Only because of the after events," Jasper says with a smirk. Of course, she wouldn't know that.

"Jesus, you're making it sound like we fuc-"

"Young ears on your end."

"Right, right. Thank you," Tatum says, looking over to Avery. "So, December 30th?"

"If that works with your family." Tatum smirks at the thought of her asking her dad if she can go to South Carolina to meet up with the boy she supposedly got 'dumped' by.

"Yeah, but what's my cover story?"

"You're visiting Georgiana at her new school. It'll work, her family cut off all ties and moved somewhere in South America," Jasper says. It sounded legit. So, why not?

"Alright, so we've got my cover story, my destination, my plan for it. What else?" she asks.

"How about you bring a nice dress," Jasper suggests sneakily. Tatum was a little suspicious but went with the flow.

"Sure, anything else?"

"Bring long sleeves, pants, gloves, scarves, and turtlenecks."

"It's that bad?" she asks.

"That and I don't want anyone looking at my woman like I do."

"Is that jealousy I hear?" Tatum teases.

She can hear the small groan come from Jasper's side of the phone. She chuckles softly and takes a deep breath, imagining what life would be like if he was still around. Maybe he'd be trick-or-treating with the two of them, maybe they'd be at a movie theater, maybe they'd be at his house...maybe her mom wouldn't have left. That last one was a long shot.

"I love you."

It was like he could sense when she was overthinking...probably because he could.

"I love you too."

●○●