Chapter 6

The next morning had come around, everyone was excited for the upcoming race. Strip, followed by a few other cars had been practicing for the race on the track. Most of the competitors were friendly, at least they were now until the race started.

Ophelia sat in the audience, watching Strip chat with the other competitors. It was nice to see that he was getting along with everyone, she just hoped he could win the race. She knew he had it in himself to win, but sometimes he never seemed to notice it. She could tell that deep down, he put himself down. Even if he knew he was capable of a lot, he still put himself down.

"Ophelia! Ophelia! Did you catch anything I said?" Strip shouted, snapping the light blue mustang out of her thoughts.

"No...sorry Strip! What was it you said?"

"The red Nissan over there is my biggest competitor, according to Rick his names Travis. He's known as "The King" around these parts, seems he's got a winning streak when it comes to these here races. So, if I can beat him then there's a chance of me winnin' this race."

Ophelia nodded, biting her lip as she gazed over at the rather old looking Nissan. It didn't look like he was fast, he had to be about 50 years olds. But then, Doc Hutson was probably around his age as well.

"You can beat him, Strip. Just remember on the turns, turn right to go left. As Doc use to do whenever he raced, that should come in helpful. Especially since this track is dirt, not asphalt. And watch out for those sharp turns, try your best and don't crash. That's the last thing we need."

"Yes mam, you better be cheering me on."

"Of course I would be, what kind of friend would I be if I didn't?"

"Would all racers report to the starting line! I repeat, all racers to the starting line."

Ophelia looked up at the speaker, grinning a bit. "Go win that race, champ."

Strip smiled, giving her a brisk nod. He headed over towards the start line, taking a deep breath in. He closed his eyes, clearing his head. He had a race to focus on, he couldn't afford any slip ups.

"What're thinkin' about newbie? Winnin'? I wouldn't count on it, your chances of winning are very slim." A voice whispered, letting out a chuckle.

Strip's eyes flew open, he looked to the red Nissan beside him. Of course it was Travis who was whispering to him.

"Well, guess we'll have to see about that old man."

"You're a rather cocky one aren't ya?"

"Not cocky, just confident."

Rick stood in a booth, just above the race tracks. He held a flag in his right tire, waving it. He watched all the racers take off, his eyes landed on Strip. The rookie wasn't doing bad considering, but he still had to win the race if he wanted to land anywhere. He had 4 laps to complete, he just wondered if he had it in him.

Strip was currently in fourth place, something which surprised even himself. Guess he was having a luck streak, his eyes locked on Travis. The red nissan was of course in first place, refusing to let anyone in front of him. He was good, Strip would give him that.

He just hang back until the time was right, once he saw an opening he would take it. He didn't want to go too early or too late, he had to time this just right.

Ophelia sat in the crowd, watching the cars race. She took a deep breath in, hoping everything would work out. Every now and again she'd glance up at the screen, but that was only when the racers went on an angle she couldn't see.

They had just finished their first lap, now they were on the second. Strip slipped between two cars, travelling just behind Travis. The older car took no notice of the young car behind him, he was too concentrated on winning this race. This was something Strip could use to his advantage, either on the last lap or the second last. That was his plan anyway.

The second lap turned into the 3rd, now was his chance. He sped up, overtaking the older car. Travis looked rather impressed, this wasn't the first time he'd encountered a cocky rookie like Strip before. He had his own plan in place.

Strip's eyes became wide with determination, he was so close to winning. The third lap turned into the 4th, the last and final. He just had to win this lap, he knew he could.

Travis came up beside Strip, chuckling. "You aren't that bad, rookie. I'll give you that, but...I'm afraid you just aren't that good."

Before Strip had a chance to respond, Travis gave him a hard nudge. Causing him to loose control, not to the point where he'd crash, just steering. Luckily for him, Strip had a trick up his sleeve. While he may of been on the side of the track, he had a plan that would guarantee first place.

He turned right while he glided left, a helpful trick he'd picked up from watching The Fabulous Hudson Hornet. He felt incredibly proud, doing a trick his role model had done. He came back on the track, coming in front of Travis.

"Come on Strip! You've got this!" Ophelia cheered, watching him. He was so close!

Travis frowned, coming right up behind Strip. He rammed into him from behind, sending the young car forward. He wasn't about to give up his spot, not when he was so close.

They were just a few tire lengths from the finish line, it was super close. Travis gave up on trying to ram Strip, instead he came up beside him. The two were neck and neck, overtaking each other every second.

Finally, they crossed the line. All the cars in the crowd cheered, it was so close. The way the two cars went, made it hard to see who had won the race.

"Now, hold on a sec folks. We're just checkin' over the footage now." One of the judges announced in a close by microphone.

Strip bit his lip, he couldn't stand waiting. What if he had lost? Everything his parents had told him when he was younger would become true, that was the last thing he wanted to hear. Them say that they'd told him so.

"Well, folks. It seems as though for the first time in awhile, we have a new winner. That's right, a new competitor has managed to beat local champion Travis Sullivan! Everyone, give a cheer for our new champion, Strip Weathers!"