Chapter 3

"Your speed this time was 197, looking better and better each day Strip. Keep this up and you should be leaving race cars in the dust," Ophelia snickered, looking down at the radar gun.

These two had been training in secret every day for almost 6 years now, whenever they had a spare moment, didn't have school, this is what they'd be doing. Ophelia sometimes raced with Strip, but mostly hung back on the sidelines and watched, either timing him or his speed.

Strip slowed down, driving towards his friend as he let out a happy laugh, "That's awesome! Nice to know I'm gettin' faster and faster every time we train."

"You're fast in general, Strip. You just need that bit more of motivation to get you going just a bit faster, I truly do believe if we were to enter you in a race that you'd win."

"Slow down there, Lia. How can you be so sure? There are plenty of rookies out there that're way better then me, half those guys you see on the circuit are born and bred for racing. Us? We weren't. Can you imagine what our folks would say if they saw us? They'd be disappointed."

Both teens sighed, Strip was right. Everyone in this town, their folks included would be against everything that the two of them were doing. They'd been lucky so far, they'd been extremely careful with how they went about things which is how they were so lucky. The two really wanted to confront their parents about what they'd been doing, but they knew it'd take a turn for the worse.

"Should we head on home?" Ophelia asked, looking up at the sky. The sun was starting to set, the once blue sky was now a mixture of yellow and pink.

Strip looked up at the sky, admiring the colours. How he wished they could stay here, this was the only place they could race, be away from other cars. He liked being around other cars, but sometimes it just got a bit much for him. Pretending to not have a passion for racing, it was something he couldn't stand. "Yeah, suppose we should."

The drive back to Strip's house, both cars remained silent. Both of them were thinking different things, while Ophelia was thinking about entering races, Strip was thinking of coming clean and confessing to his parents. He knew they wouldn't accepted his decision, but what was the harm in trying to?

Ophelia noticed how in the clouds Strip seemed to be, which wasn't normal for him. He was usually so talkative, even if there wasn't really much to talk about he'd find something to discuss. "Alright, come Strip. What's going on in that head of yours?"

"Ophelia...do you think I should tell my folk about what we've been doing? Maybe...maybe we could change their minds on the whole thing, surely they'd have to be more accepting, right?" The tone in his voice sounded so confident, but deep down he felt nervous.

The young mustang wasn't sure what to say, their reaction could be anything. She knew that  it mightn't be what he was hoping for though. "Strip, I'm not sure what they'll say. But...whatever happens, you know I'll be by your side."

Strip gave her a nod, a gentle smile growing on his lips. These two did everything together, seeing them apart was really rare. Their parents didn't mind one bit, just as long as they weren't getting into trouble. He hoped for the best, what more could he do? There wasn't much that for sure.

Finally, both teens had gotten back to Strip's, currently they were all sitting at the table for dinner. They weren't just joined by Strip's parents, but Ophelia's father as well. He was rather strict when it came with to his daughter, but he didn't mind Strip or his parents. Their families had always been close, which why the two of them were the best of friends and close as they were.

All three adults engaged in a conversation while Strip and Ophelia remained silent, both exchanging glances. They weren't sure how to start this conversation without making the atmosphere more awkward then it needed to be. The older mustang glanced at the two teens, raising a brow. He knew there was something on their minds, he just wished they'd spit whatever it was out.

"Alright, out with it you two. You're both dying to say something, now's your chance to do so."

Both teens looked at each other, feeling a nervous sensation run through their bodies. It was now or never, both had been hiding this big secret from their parents for awhile now. This secret was one that would change their parents view on the both of them.

"Ma, Pa, Steve. In our spare time, Lia and I have been racing. Practicing anyway, she's been helpin' me train. Everyday I'm getting better, heck I could even enter in a race. If...you'd approve of it, that is."

The entire room grew silent, Patrick, Sandra and Steve stared at their children with wide eyes. Were the two of them serious about this? The whole time they'd been going behind their backs and training for some imaginary race they hoped to compete in?