Chapter Ten

David's foot tapped on the ground impatiently as his blue eyes scanned over his mate's sleeping form. It had been well over 10 hours since Dwayne had marked their mate in a lustful rut and there was still no sign of her waking up. Or of Dwayne's return. At this point the sun would rise and he was sure Dwayne had found somewhere else to hole up for the day. His tongue flicked out to wet his chapped lips as she shifted in her sleep.

Now yellow eyes were trained on the deep mark left on her pale freckled neck. Dwayne had dug his teeth into her, blood staining them both and the floor. Each of them had felt the mate bond snap into place between the two, the pull for the others to complete it growing stronger the longer they were connected. It had taken David and Paul to rip Dwayne from her before he lost anymore control, no one wanted to witness their first time together in that moment.

Marko had taken to caring for her at first, cleaning the wound and changing her out of as much of her clothing as possible without leaving her bare. Once snapped from his rut Dwayne left silently, lips flickering across his mouth to taste the remaining drops of her blood. They had given him hours to cool off before Paul took it upon himself to go searching. Which left David to watch her and Marko to pace at the front of the cave waiting for either brother to return before sunrise.

It wouldn't surprise any of them if Paul came crashing in at the last second, skin smoking from the first golden rays of sunlight.

"Whoo! Did you see how fast I flew?! My ass was on fire! Literally!"

Across the cave Marko snorted at the mental picture David had painted and wondered if Paul or Dwayne were close enough to also see it.

"This wasn't how it was supposed to go."

Marko glanced back and watched as David chewed on his leather gloves, eyes glaring at the sore fresh mark.

"Something is off. The bond is all fucked. To much for a human. There is no reason she should have seized like that." David continued to mutter under his breath angrily.

Not angry with her or with his brother at all. Dwayne was there right along side him in age, mortality and immortality. They both had seen the mate bond between other covens, human and vampire. Never had a joint mate gone through such a thing. Or had such an experienced vampire reacted like that. Especially not someone like Dwayne.

"Is she going to be okay?" Marko spoke softly and nervously, hand rubbing at his scar left by those damned idiot boys six years ago.

"Physically yes. Mentally? Don't know. She seemed to handle the news well before Dwayne went for it. But something ain't right." David glared harshly at her form, not angry with her, but suspicious of something.

He leaned over her body and let his eyes scan her. Marko walked up behind him and gazed over David's shoulder.

"What is it?"

"I don't fucking know. And I hate it. You're young, so you don't know as much. But this is not how this works. You don't just lose control. Humans don't just freak like that. The bond is fucked somehow." David growled, gritting his teeth as he pressed his nose to her hair, taking a deep whiff of her scent.

"So something is... Damn what's the saying? Something is dishy? Witchy? Fishy... Something is fishy!" Marko hummed in thought and let his paint stained fingers graze Aurelia's shirt sleeve, not daring to touch  her skin but longing for contact.

When Marko spoke David froze, his nose still in his mate's hair. Yellow eyes flashed dangerously as his face morphed.

"Witchy... Son of a bitch!" With a roar he pulled back, scaring Marko and making the younger man stumble backwards.

"Woah, David, what's up?"

"Look for a charm or weird tattoo! Anything that smells even a little off." David started gently but determinedly searching her for anything that called out as odd. Marko followed suit, checking her ankles before glancing up at the bracelet on her wrist.

"David."

David passed his search of her earrings to glance down and leaned on the floor to carefully inspect the piece of jewelry. A wild smirk grew across his face and he laughed.

"Oh what a clever witchy bitch. Playing dirty. Marko get me my gloves, they are on my chair."

Marko handed them to him and David put them on, carefully unclasping the bracelet and scrunching his nose in disgust.

"What? I am so fucking confused." Marko tilted his head, confused as his brother stomped across the cave to the fire.

"Witches. Specifically White witches. Stupid old bags who like to meddle with vampires. Always judging and preaching that vampires are dangerous beings damned by hell. Undeserving of love. A favorite trick is fucking with mates, making them either so irresistible that they accidentally get killed by rivals or making them so scared that they take off. Stupid white magic practicing meddling goody two shoed prudish bitch." David growled tossing the bracket into the flames, Marko's eyes widening at the blue flames that shot up into the air.

"There. It's already to late for Dwayne, but burning that fucker will give the rest of us a chance and save Aurelia from anymore bullshit."

Marko just stared at the ground confused and nodded along before glancing up, "Sun is rising. Think Paul and Dwayne are okay?"

"Yeah. Go get some sleep. I will stay with her."

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ow! Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!" Paul whined as he landed in the shed, barely shutting the door before the full rays of sun burned his flesh.

His hands slapped on the ground to put out the flames on his fingers.

"You're an idiot."

"HOLY FUCK!"

Paul screamed and his back slammed against the wall as he looked up to find Dwayne leaning against a lawn mower with a tarp throw over his body to keep the small peeks of sun from touching him.

"Shut up and get over here."

"Yeah. Yep. On it."