CHAPTER 2: Memories of a broken heart (Part 1).

The second day came. Or that's what Leonore and I could intuit, being that, when I say that everything vanished, I say it literally. There wasn't even a trace of the blue colour that's so characteristic about the sky. Instead, there was a lighter colour than the black of the night, like if you added a thick layer of smoke to the sky of a cloudy day. Even if the sky wasn't so clear, there was the enough light to see where we moved and see what was surrounding us.

We both were lying and hugging each other on the solid ground of a building where we ended up that, despite being completely ruined, offered us the exact shelter that we needed to sleep, or at least, try to.

- So... Finally it's not a nightmare, is it? -She said breaking finally the silence.

- I'm afraid it's just as real as you and me are. Unfortunately.

- I don't know if I'm ready for this... -She said with a thin yard of voice while she hugged me closer- I mean, for whatever this is. I don't know if the fact that we're still alive was a favour or a cruel caprice of the destiny, who seems to luxuriate with our suffering.

- I don't think I'm ready either. How would I be prepared for something I don't even know? I don't know what heppened, I don't know the magnitude of whatever happened, I don't know if this destruction is limited to a city, a state, a country or the whole world. I don't know absolutely nothing. I never thought that I would see myself in a situation like this, having to dodge calcined leftovers of corpses, like if I was surrounded by failed tries of an experiment that tried to build an human from zero and went wrong. I never thought that I would see the end of everything. But I saw it, and I'm alive. So there's no other choice but keep existing 'til I can't take it anymore.

- But... What's the sense behind existing without a reason? Without a future to reach? Without a dream to fullfill? Take a look at the sky, I can't even see the dawn that supposedly I should be able to intuit above me. It's black, dark. There's no light, there's absolutely nothing.

- Then maybe this is the moment to find that light inside of you, and give the word "Dawn" a new meaning. -I said, trying to cheer her up and maybe even myself too, despite knowing that on the very depths of myself I agreed to everything I heard.

She smiled -As much as a mentally sane person could smile on a situation like that.- and we both melted into a fulminant kiss that for some milliseconds made it seem like nothing that was around us ever existed.

After a while, the silence returned, that was just broken with the noise of our guts demanding the food that obviously was necessary to stay alive.

- So it seems like I'm not the only hungry one. -I whispered, sketching half a smile.

- No, not really.

- Then, what are we doing standing here? Let's go and search for something. Everything is in ruins, but we probably can find a store, a supermarket, a house or whatever where we could find some food that's still able to consume. And once we get our stomachs filled, maybe we should go to our houses.

- WHAT!? -A scream skipped from her outh.- Why? Are you crazy? Do you want to see the corpses of your whole family and see how everything you once had went to dust?

- Hey... Calm down, please. Obviously I don't want to see that either, I don't wanna be in that situation, but what else can we do? Maybe at the end, this catastrophe isn't as big as we expected it to be. Maybe we're not the only people alive. The only thing we can do is hope that maybe what we see will not be as bad as we think.

- Yeah... Yeah, of course. You're right. You know that my mind doesn't work properly yet... I'm sorry for being that rough with you. -She said as she hugged me.- Hey...

- Hm? Do you want to see something?

- I love you.

- Yeah, I love you too, sweetie.

And we got going without losing another single second.