Chapter 18

One chapter will be posted each week.. There are 24 of them. If you can’t wait, you can download the complete book and purchase the rest of THE BACKWORLDS series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords.

*****

CHAPTER 18

Craze prepared to hibernate for the rest of the trip through the Lepper. He was exhausted from atmospheres he wasn’t used to, clandestine affairs, an attack of claustrophobia, and scrubbing down the spacecraft. He’d just settled under the covers when he heard Lepsi and Talos in the living area. It only took a few steps to reach the door separating them.

Craze waved at the aviars to come over. “That patroller guy around?”

“He’s keeping an eye on things up on the bridge,” Talos said. “He’s a Backworlds Assembled Authorities lawman with an impeccable record, always getting his fugitives. Kind of worries me. We’ll end up in situations with a lot of bothers until we get rid of him.”

Craze leaned on the doorframe, crossing his arms. “Not much we can do about it, except go along ‘n survive. Hey, ‘n thanks for gettin’ me out of custody.”

“You crew, mate,” Talos said. “As your captain, it was an obligation.”

Craze would accept that explanation outwardly, but knew he and the aviars had started on an alliance deeper than business. The things they’d done for him proved it. Unlike Bast, they deserved his loyalty, and he vowed to show it moving forward.

He kept his voice low. “So you got the chocolates? I saw you escape.”

Talos scratched at his sharp beak of a nose. “We got the wrapped bars. We heard they mealworm cakes.”

“Did you check?” Craze chewed on the inside of his cheek.

“We unwrapped one.” Talos giggled, leaning in closer, rubbing his thumb over the pin on his lapel. “It was chocolate.”

“Great shit!” Craze clapped his hands. “How many did you get?”

Talos held up a cautionary hand. “Fifty-three bars. We don’t know whether they all chocolate though.”

With what the patrollers had shown Craze on Elstwhere, the aviarman had a reason to be wary about what they had taken away from Mr. Slade’s Emporium.

“We should unwrap the others,” Craze said. “Where’d you put them? I’ll help.” He took a step into the living area, anxious to find out how badly he’d been duped by the Jix and the smugglers.

“If we open them, they exposed to rotting,” Talos said, his lips drawing to one side in a grimace. “Then they lose all their value.”

Lepsi held up a finger, signaling he might have the solution. “If Mortua has a med bay, there’s a surgical laser we can use to inspect under the casings ‘n foils. It then reseals the holes.”

Talos frowned, pressing his long body against the wall. “It’s a shipyard ‘n that’s what it’s known for. If it has more than a med kit, I’d be surprised.”

“So we may not be able to find out on Mortua.” Craze rubbed at his chin. “But someplace out here on the Edge will have what we need.”

“Yup,” Talos said, “until then we carry on.” He pulled at the lapel sporting the badge with his beloved motto.

Patience had never been a strength of Craze’s. He hated the idea of waiting and probably for a big disappointment. All of his investments had evaporated, as dried up as the mealworms. It kicked at him, bunching his muscles into knots.

Maybe the pay from the Assembled Authorities would make up for some of the loss. He had to ask, fingering the tab in his pocket, hoping the aviars intended to share. “How much did you get paid to chase after these Fo’wo’ bastards?”

Talos took out his tab. “Forty-two thousand chips. I’ll ping you your third now. I was waiting for Dactyl to give us some space.”

Craze glanced at his balance to make sure it went through. Fourteen thousand chips was less than Bast had given him, but better than nothing. “I appreciate it guys ... friends.” That’s what Craze wanted the aviars to be. He held out his hand for Lepsi and Talos to shake.

Lepsi shook with a big grin, clapping Craze on the back as he did, laughing, a good-natured fellow despite those stupid songs. “Federoy will be envious when I report a pal like you. Plant your face in it, brother.”

Craze chuckled, sticking his tongue out at Federoy’s image when Lepsi held it out. “You got it better than he does. He’ll find out soon.”

Talos also shook hands. “The Edge is a dangerous place, mate,” he said. “We can all use as many friends as we can get.”

“Mate.” Craze grinned. Then he explained how Verkinn could hibernate. “Wake me if anythin’ comes up, otherwise I say goodnight until we arrive at Mortua.”

He returned to his bunk, sinking under covers that cradled him as softly and warmly as Yerness’s embraces once did. A pleasure he would never know again. At least not with her. Sighing, he told the computer to wake him three hours before they arrived at Mortua.

His overworked body began to shut down, his heart beat and lungs slowing, his blood flowing like ice five. His thoughts stopped, except for the hope that the chocolate they’d stolen would turn out to be chocolate. His last musing, “I’ll get you, Bast.”

*****

Find other reads by M. Pax, sign up for my newsletter for discounts on new releases, follow me on Twitter, or like my Facebook page. For more information, see my website mpaxauthor.com. You made my day. Thanks for reading!