Chapter 17

One chapter will be posted each week.. There are 24 of them. If you can’t wait, you can download the complete book and purchase the rest of THE BACKWORLDS series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords.

*****

CHAPTER 17

The ship looked sad in the well-maintained dock, hideous and long past its prime. It was an awful shade of green, chipping and peeling. And it was shaped so odd, like two beetles back to back with six cylindrical protrusions sticking out from the center that reminded Craze of worms.

He seriously questioned his sanity. Wow. That was what he would travel the Backworlds in? That was what he invested most of his chips on?

Dactyl shoved Craze forward onto the boarding ramp and into the hatch at the end of one of the worm-like extensions. Once on board, the lawman released Craze’s hands from the binds. “Yous watch youself. The patrollers told me to keep yous on probation. One wrong move ‘n yous to jail.”

Around the bend, the aviarmen stooped side by side. The confines of the entry made them appear taller than usual, creating the unmistakable impression that they owned this spacecraft. They wore serious airs, furrowing their brows, and burying their hands deep in their coat pockets. The similarity of their dress and stance gave them the guise of a uniformed crew, which made Craze feel a little left out. Although he wore mostly browns and grays too, it was in a different order and his boots were still shiny. It was of minor consequence though, as he was incredibly relieved to be back at the docks with the aviars.

Craze rubbed at the chafing left as a memento by the cuffs, grinning at Talos and Lepsi. “Thanks.” He raised his brows in Dactyl’s direction wondering how the patroller planned to enforce the probation. Then a horrible possibility crept to mind. Was Dactyl going with them? Craze tried to relay the question to the aviarmen through his expression.

Talos’s tentative smile and tug on his prized pin, signaled their carefully crafted exit strategy had changed. “Welcome back, Second Officer Craze.” He ran a hand through his shock of blue. “Before you join us on the bridge, the Sequi could use a good cleaning.” From behind his back he brought out a bucket full of cleaning gel and some clothes.

“The Sequi?” Craze asked.

“The Backworld Assembled Authorities granted our ship the honorable name when we was deputized.”

Did that mean Dactyl was or wasn’t remaining on board? Craze clenched his jaw, wishing the lawman away. It’d be about impossible to recover his lost investment with a patroller on board.

Talos kept talking. “The Authorities is short on ships ‘n since we saw the vessel the frizzer runners left in, we agreed to help out Dactyl in apprehending those despicable infiltrators.”

Translation: the lawman would stay and the aviarmen had seen the smugglers’ ship. They’d told the Authorities. The only reason to do so was to get Craze sprung. Ah, he’d prove they’d made the right decision and not screw this up. What a beautiful thing they’d engineered—thieves chasing after smugglers. Craze had to bite the inside of his cheek to keep from laughing. He peered into the yellow slop, doing his best to remain somber. “Yes, Sir.”

“No more dipshit behavior, Second. I need my crew if I’m to chase those criminals down effectively. The Authorities agreed as long as I saw to it you was punished.”

The aviars must have emphasized Craze’s skills as essential to get the Authorities not to insist Talos hire a new crewman. Warmth spread in his chest and dimpled his cheeks. Craze saluted the aviarmen, fist to chest. “Yes, Captain.”