A Special Request

"Excellent work, First Team," Colonel Nash congratulated us as Carrie, Thomas, and I sat in her office. David and Nicole stood behind us.

Colonel Nash's blue eyes looked even more vivid through her reading glasses as she poured over the handwritten report of our mission at Loch Ness.

"Why do you still like to have written reports," I asked, "That's gotta be a waste of time."

Colonel  Nash took off her reading glasses and looked at me with a  dead serious face. "Why does the sun come up? Why do birds fly? Why is the sky blue?"

Thomas leaned forward in his chair with an enthusiastic look on his face. "Well, Ma'am, there are very good scientific explanations for all those reasons. Starting with the sun coming up –"

"It was a rhetorical question Recruit Adebayo and I'll thank you not to interrupt me when I'm having a conversation," Colonel Nash said.

Thomas turned red and slumped down in his chair. "I'm sorry, Ma'am. It won't happen again."

"It better not. I expect better things from an Alpha Company First Team and sit up straight," Colonel Nash said to Thomas with a stern look on her face.

Thomas sat up in his chair ramrod straight and concentrated on a point on the wall.

Colonel Nash shook her head. She looked amused. "Why do you think I still use paper when I could just as easily read your report off a razor phone?"

I shifted in my seat. I didn't expect an interrogation when we were summoned to her office.

Carrie raised her hand. "It's because you like the feel of the paper in your hands, Ma'am."

Colonel Nash shook her head with a bemused smile, "Serves me right for trying to keep a secret from a gifted psionic. Well done, Brunner."

Carrie blushed and nodded. "You're welcome, Ma'am."

Colonel Nash stood up and grabbed the report in her hand. She let the folder drop onto the desk where it landed with a soft thud. She pointed at the report. "I'm a tactile person, folks. When you deal in secrets and illusions all day, you welcome any chance to be old fashioned." She came out from behind her desk, motioned for us to sit on the leather couch.

Colonel Nash pulled up a chair and sat facing us. She rested her right foot on her left leg and motioned for us to relax as well. "I always like to take an hour or so to meet the new first teams from every Company. The Rangers are what Blackstone is all about," she said and pointed at the three of us, "Never forget that. You are the first and last line of defense. The last and best hope for us in this war. Now if you have any questions for me now about anything related to your new duties, ask away. I want you to be completely honest."

I raised my hand. "I think this is a stupid question."

 "There's no such thing as a stupid question, Grant." Colonel Nash said.

"This war with the Grimm. Why are the Agents all our age? Why aren't they're any adult agents?"

Thomas slapped his fist on his knee. "Bloody hell, Eliza that was going to be my question."

Colonel Nash smiled. "It's all right, Adebayo, I'm sure someone with your boundless enthusiasm can muster up a few more questions from somewhere."

Thomas grinned. "Oh, you better believe it, Ma'am. I've got loads more. For instance, what exactly powers the beamships?"

Colonel Nash put up his hands. "In a moment, Adebayo. Let me first get to Grant's question," Colonel Nash leaned forward in her seat and looked directly at me, "All right, why are all Blackstone Agents in their teens? The answer is very simple."

Suddenly, the buzzer on her desk rang. Colonel Nash shook her head and answered it. "What is it, Mrs. Cook?"

"Agent Ross and Agent Heidegger just received a message from Prince Val Tarran. They say it's very important." the gentle voice answered.

"It always is with Prince Val Tarran. Send them in."

Colonel Nash went back behind her desk and sat down.

David and Nicole entered and stood at attention.

Colonel Nash signaled at ease. "So what can we do for the good prince now. Build an aquarium for his pet blue whale?"

David shook his head. "No, Ma'am, it's something a little less complicated but more dangerous."

"Fashion week is coming up in New York City, Colonel and Prince Val Tarran insists on being there when his new collection is unveiled." Nicole said.   

"Doesn't the good prince know that he barely survived an assassination attempt in a closely guarded secure location. New York City is out of the question," Colonel Nash said.

David took a deep breath. "Ma'am, there's also something else. He's requested that the Alpha Company First Team be assigned to his protection detail. He specifically requested Recruit Grant."

Colonel Nash snorted. "Absolutely not. They're still students and this is an important detail. I want only experienced agents."

"The prince was very specific, Ma'am. He wants Grant's team," David replied.

"I can't imagine why," Nicole said, giving me a withering look.

Colonel Nash steepled her fingers and thought for a moment. "All right, Agent Ross. Let's give the prince what he wants, but I want only the best agents on this. And you," she pointed a finger at the three of us, "Are to stay out of trouble. Trust me, you're just window dressing. The prince probably just wants to take you for dinner and a carriage ride in the Park."

I could barely contain my excitement. I was going home to New York! Even if I had to spend a few days hanging around pretentious fashion people this was totally going to be worth it. For some reason I sensed I had some bargaining power. If the prince was so interested in me then possibly I could turn this to my advantage.

"I want to see my uncle," I said.

Nicole scoffed. "No way, worm."

David turned to me. "It would be needless distraction, Eliza. Besides, it's against all protocols for first years to see their parents or guardians."

I sat back and folded my arms across my chest. "Then I guess I'm not going. Hope the good Prince isn't going to be disappointed."

Colonel Nash smiled. "You know, Eliza. We have some very good psionics here at Blackstone. Mr. Z could convince you to eat broken glass. Getting you to New York would be the easiest thing in the world."

"That wouldn't be very practical now would it? Also, I don't think the prince wants to go on a date with some brainwashed flunky," I answered.

Colonel Nash sat back in her chair. David shook his head and smiled. Nicole scowled.

"All right, Eliza, I think we can arrange a meeting with your uncle. Agent Ross, I want you with her at all times." Colonel Nash said.

David glanced at me and we locked eyes, "Don't worry, Ma'am. I can assure you that she won't be out of my sight."

To Be Continued

A Message from Trafton:

Hey Guys, if you're enjoying Eliza's adventures so far then please show your support and vote. It's the little star button on the top right of your screen. Thanks a lot and have a great day!