Chapter 1

Chapter 1 My Dream Come To Life

  I couldn't believe it when, about a month before graduating High School with the rest of the 2016 senior class, my acceptance letter from NYU arrived at my house! Mom and I jump around  in the middle of our small living room like little kids. Screaming and holding on to one another while I read the letter aloud. The letter also says I have a full ride academic scholarship, and another pack of papers detail my dorm information, adviser, and classes.

  The summer before starting school I work at a small ice cream shop in town to save up money. While also getting ahead in my upcoming classes by reading the textbooks all the way through. Only the basic mandatory classes the first semester with an extra biology class thrown in.

  I have all of my paperwork filled out for my scholarship, and dorm safely packed away in my book bag. The things I'm taking with me sealed up into four boxes and two suitcases, stuffed in the back of my old Maxima, waiting to go by the end of July. Then with only a week before classes start, I kiss my mom goodbye. Before heading out of this tiny town for the first time in my life to the great big city.

  Once I arrive in New York City I can't stop looking around everywhere in wonder. The amount of people and buildings packed into such a small space is like nothing I've ever seen before. You always dream about what New York City is like as a kid, but nothing prepares you for seeing it in person.

  I make it to the NYU campus finally, and it's  absolutely picturesque. The tree lined paths, and brownstone buildings could be an image straight from my dreams. There are so many people walking around campus, and across the road it takes me forever to find a spot close to my dorm.

  It's a little difficult to find somewhere to park my car, but luckily I found a place that's not such a long walk to my dorm. I wrestle both my duffel bag and purse from the back of my trunk, and carry them on my shoulder as I go up the front steps into the building.

  Once I make it to the third floor where the room I will be sharing for the next year, I instantly break out into a sweat. Which is so bad I can't possibly blame it all on the slight workout I just did. When the truth is I'm beyond nervous to meet my new roommate.

  I've only ever lived with my mom, Jenny Black. I didn't know how to live with a complete stranger. My nerdy personality could be a bit stand-offish at times to some people, and if my past is anything to go by I'm a hard person to make friends with also.

  I shake off my nerves before opening the door. I slide my sweaty palm down the front of my pants then grab a hold of the doorknob. While holding my purse and duffel bag in the other. I blow out a quick breath then knock once, and open the door.

  Once I step inside I notice one side of the room is empty. While the other side is decked out in a funky chic look. The bed, pillow, and lamp all have the same color pattern, and the wall already has several shelves filled with books.

  A blonde girl, around my age, is sitting in the middle of the bed on that side of the room. Absentmindedly flipping through a magazine, but drops it beside her immediately once she sees me. Then she squeals and claps her hands in excitement. Before jumping from the bed, and bouncing up to me.

  "You must be my new roomie! I'm so excited! My name's Joss Stone. I'm a sophomore in the Pre-Law department. I hope you don't mind this is the same room I had last year, so I just kept my stuff where it was."