{Eleven}

The next morning I wake up on the floor, tangled in sheets. I frown, and twist my way out of the fabric. Last night's dreams must have been crazy... It's a good thing I don't remember them.

When I'm throwing my blankets back onto the air mattress, I find a note from Kevin. The paper is folded over, with my nickname scrawled on the front. Hesitantly, I unfold the note.

'I went to the store to buy some more food. I'll probably be back by the time you're up, but I thought I'd write this just in case. I'll cook when I get back(: French toast sound good?'

I smile. How sweet.

I decide to text him once I take a shower. Once I get all my clothes together, I start the shower and lock the bathroom door.

Who knows how much later, I make myself get out from under the relaxing, steaming water. I throw on a red sweater, a pair of jeans, and my red converse. For a while, I just look at the mirror. And I don't care how conceited that sounds, because I'll admit that it's been a while since I've looked in a mirror. I gave up on my appearance a long time ago. But maybe... once everything gets handled and I figure everything out... maybe I could...

Nah. I put on my layer of Chap-stick and brush my hair like usual. Maybe tomorrow I'll put it up. Today, I don't feel like wasting my time.

When I walk out of the bathroom in my socks, the first thing that registers in my mind is the smell of bacon. I dump my pajamas on the floor and follow the smell into the kitchen. Kevin's at the counter, sprinkling powdered sugar over two pieces of French toast. He looks up when I come in, grins, and then douses the toast in syrup. Silently- as always- I watch him pile cheesy eggs and stack pieces of still-sizzling bacon on the rest of the plate. He even adds some orange slices.

My stomach growls, almost as if on cue, and Kevin pushes the plate at me. Then he starts making his own. I look down at my plate, debating. I'm not even sure where to start!

But it doesn't take me long to just give in. I pig out until nearly all of my food is gone, and then I have to stop. I feel like I'm about to puke from all the eggs I ate, but it was worth it. That was the best breakfast I've had in a long time...

After he finishes, I help Kevin with the dishes. And by the time the last dish is done, we're both soaked, covered with suds, and laughing so hard we can't breathe. He tries to dump another cupful of water on me but I push him back and he ends up dumping it on himself instead. and then, I run away. He chases after me.

I don't run long before he's there again, picking me up and almost throwing me over his shoulder. My whole body's shaking from silent laughter.

Eventually, he puts me down and I plant myself on the floor so I can catch my breath. He leans against the wall and tries to calm his laughter.

It takes us a full ten minutes to breathe right again, because every time we look at each other, we just bust out laughing all over again. But eventually, we pull ourselves together and go change into dry clothes. I close the door behind me and, for some reason, I remember his laugh. But I put it out of my mind, because there're more important things to focus on now. Today, I'm going back to the hospital.

xxx

Kevin parks my car and we get out. I'm trembling all over. I really just want to run away, and forget all about this. But I know I can't. I'll never be able to forget, and I'll never be able to live with myself, unless I get my revenge. And to get my revenge, I need the facts. So to get the facts, I need to go back to the places where everything happened, painful or not.

So much to do... in so little time.

Still trembling all over, I follow Kevin into the hospital. He looks back at me once we go through the front doors and must have seen the expression on my face, because he stops and wraps his arm around my waist. I don't think much of it; not near as much as what any other girl would think of it. But his touch is comforting, and I'm even more thankful to have his company and friendship with me now.