Inside the Mind of a Skeleton

i'm sorry this chapter took so long to put out, i've been feeling really unmotivated lately and i'm trying to get back into it. hope you guys enjoy <3

longest chapter so far!!

•••

Dave

One by one, the group of boys wandered around the city on their own unlocking all of the basement doors as quietly as possible. A few of the zombies figured out that they weren't trapped anymore, either from the noise or the smell of human flesh. Those zombies were killed off quickly. The rest remained underground.

"I got everywhere in the south end of the city," Dave exhales as everyone reunites in the center of the city.

"I finished the east," Zak replies.

"North," Darryl nods.

"We opened everything up in the west, I think," Clay says, gesturing to Vincent and himself. "This is gonna be one huge mob. How come you never told me you kept the zombies alive?"

"It never came up," Dave answers, shrugging. "Besides, you would think it was a crazy and stupid idea, and I didn't feel like starting anything."

"That doesn't matter right now," Zak says, "We need to finalize our plan. Who is doing what?"

Vincent clears his throat, already having thought of a plan. "Dave will be leading the mob back towards Zak's house. Darryl, you and I will cover him and make sure no zombies get close enough to attack him. Clay, you're going to take Zak back to a safe place uptown and start to work on fixing up a new cure that can work for others besides Dave. There's no rush, I just think you two need to be away from all of the fighting, and that's a perfect excuse."

"Away from all the fighting? What's that supposed to mean?" Zak asks.

"How do I put this...? Clay isn't the best at combat, and he needs an assistant if he's going to be working on this cure."

Not that Zak isn't good at combat, I'm sure Vincent means Zak just isn't as good as Vincent, Darryl, and I. It's not his fault, he just wasn't brought up in an army or had a daily job of killing off mobs. Maybe when this is all over I can teach him a lesson or two- like a coach. For now, though, Clay probably really does need an assistant. Or at least someone to keep him focused.

"Understandable," Clay mumbles.

Zak, with a heated-up face, glances over to Darryl, who was standing with Vincent a few paces back from the rest of the group. When he saw the two of them laughing on their own, Zak's expression falls, and him and Clay slowly walk away. Neither of them look back.

"Work on a cure?" Darryl asks once Dave rejoins him and Vincent.

"Yeah, I've actually been thinking a lot about how I'm immune to the zombie virus. If Clay made a cure before, he can surely make one again. He just needs to find the right chemicals. I feel like Zak could help him with that, too."

That works, I guess. So, back to the mob of zombies. They're all free, but how do we attract them to us?" Darryl responds.

"Easy. Just yell!" Vincent shouts, cupping his hands around his mouth. "Hey zombies! Come and get us!"

"We're out here! With fresh human brains!" Dave joins in.

"Aaaaaahhhh!" Darryl screams, his voice cracking.

Dave took his sword out as the first zombies began to appear above ground and approach the trio from the shadows of the skyscrapers, shifting his weight between his two legs to ready himself to run. Darryl took a deep breath while drawing his own sword, and Vincent drew his fully loaded crossbow.