Going Up

Vincent

Yes, I half expected Darryl to be dead, but I didn't want to kill him. I did fire the arrow, and I did purposely schedule deliveries close together, but it was only to make Zak skeptical of Darryl's monster hunting and speed up the exposure process so I could kick Darryl out.

I don't know why I lied to Darryl about it.

Seeing him after all this time was just... Hard.

I didn't intend to chase them into an elevator either. Darryl hates elevators.

Vincent paced around the room Darryl had confronted him in earlier. The Skeletons were forced to abandon the chase earlier when a mob of zombies randomly showed up inside the building— Not that Vincent cared. He didn't even know why there was a chase in the first place, he just didn't want Darryl to leave so quickly.

Because now that Darryl knows Vincent is leader of the Skeletons, he won't want to stay. Telling Zak about the gang wouldn't matter, Darryl was basically out already anyways.

The fact that people had attempted to kill him twice didn't help either.

Vincent's revenge plan had been completely screwed up, all because of his impatience and inability to control his actions. It made him furious. With so many weeks of planning, Vincent had no idea what to do with himself now that it all went wrong.

Maybe I shouldn't have shot at him. No, that wasn't the issue. I should have kept my mouth shut. Or maybe I shouldn't have shot a second arrow at him...

He couldn't stay mad at himself for long, though. Figuring Darryl probably felt alone and hopeless, Vincent decided the plan worked in its own way. Darryl was kicked out of the Skeletons.

Who cares how a plan is executed if it gets the desired result?

The leader of the Skeletons sat on the edge of his chair, looking out the window he had spotted Zak in earlier.

They get along so well... Better than Darryl and I ever did. I need to find out more about Zak. If I act more like him, maybe Darryl will come back. Not that I want that, I'm just talking hypothetically.

"Can I get a messenger in here?" Vincent calls out.

"I'm already here," The small messenger from before responded from the side of the room.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't see you. Can you tell a few of the spies to meet me later? I need intel."

•••

Zak

I'm getting sick of being trapped in an elevator.

Zak glances over to his friend, who was now leaning into his open arm. Darryl's calm state of mind increased tenfold as time passed. Zak wasn't sure how long it's been since they got in the elevator, but the last time he checked the time was when he left the red house almost three hours ago.

He was okay, though.

As long as Darryl and I are safe, who cares how long we're in here for?

The rotting corpse in the corner ensured that Zak wouldn't have an appetite any time soon.

I would like to leave, though.

"Do you think anyone's still out there?" Zak asks, causing Darryl's head to snap up.

"I don't hear them," Darryl responded, using the handle on the wall to stand up. His knees were still shaky, so Zak watched in case he fell.

Zak pouted at the absence of warmth on his left side, and stood up alongside Darryl once he was on his feet. "Let's try to open the door again. If we're in between floors... Well, hopefully we're not."

"Okay."

The large metal doors were a lot harder to open from the inside than the outside, but Zak figures that's just because Darryl has a considerably less amount of strength now than he had before. However, they managed to pull them open enough for Darryl to slide through.

The doors then snapped shut, almost closing on Darryl's arm. Zak was still in the elevator, but the lights were beginning to flicker and things were moving and changing all over the place.

"Uh... Darryl?"

"Zak, what's going on?"

"I don't know, all the lights are blinking!" Zak shouted.

A bright red button with the number fourteen on it lit up, and then the elevator was off.

How is this even possible?

Zak gripped the handlebar as he shot upwards, reaching the undesired floor in what felt like seconds. The doors creaked open, and Zak jumped out as fast as he could, in case anything else were to happen.

The fourteenth floor. It was only one level below the top floor, yet felt so isolated. It was dark everywhere, and included cobwebs tangling in Zak's hair as he stood. There were spiders on the fourteenth floor, no doubt. Zak didn't know if they were giant or not.

I guess I'm taking the stairs down. No big deal.

Walking to the stairwell, Zak only has Darryl on his mind.

I hope he's not afraid anymore. I'm such an idiot for bringing him in the elevator, I should have figured it out. I mean, there was no way I could have known he was claustrophobic, but there were probably some signs. Maybe?

I should keep in mind that he completely freezes up in small spaces. If I hadn't panicked and killed the zombie... Well, that wouldn't be good.

Before Zak even got to the stairs, Darryl had made it up to him. He hugged him quickly, only stepping away to let his friend breathe. Darryl wouldn't let go of his hand, though. Even though it was all sweaty.

"Thank goodness you're okay," Darryl was completely out of breath. "I'm so sorry for almost getting us killed."

"Darryl, don't even say that. The elevator just had a little malfunction. It's fine. Let's just get out of here."

"Where can we go? The Skeletons will have spies everywhere."

Zak hesitates. The only place he can think of is his old house, but that's hours away.

Going back there would be really painful.

"We can figure that out once we're in a safer spot," Zak responds, shifting his weight. The whole building gives him the creeps, and he wanted nothing more than to get some fresh air.

Zak grins at Darryl, leading him into the stairwell. He was okay— they both were.

They finally walk down the stairs and exit the Skeleton's hideout, hands still clasped together.