His Words and Alliance

Arabella pulled her cutlass out of its scabbard. She knew her pistol would do her no good against the leviathan. She studied him for a moment. He was tall and lanky, but still covered in sinewy muscles. His skin was dark and tawny. He had black hair that in the light glistened with a bluish tinge.  His eyes were as dark and blue as sapphires.

“If I’m going to kill you, I should at least know your name.” Arabella remarked as she readjusted the sword in her hand. The leviathan chuckled.

“You are brave, girl. Very well, I shall tell you my name.” The man paused before he formally bowed.

“I am the Leviathan Ashik*.” Arabella stared at him, unimpressed by his namesake.

“I am Arabella.” She replied with any pomp or circumstance. Ashik smirked again as he started to prowl toward Arabella.

“Tis a shame you have angered her.”

“She did tell you I cannot die, correct?” Arabella’s question stopped Ashik as his smirk fell. His dark eyes met hers and found no hint of fear or anxiety. In fact he found nothing but mild anger.

“Magic and immortality?”

“It was my curse.” Arabella explained as Ashik’s eyes widened. He stared at the human girl in front of him.

“Curse?” Arabella nodded at Ashik. The urge to do battle against this creature died in his belly. She couldn’t have been older than a sapling, cursed by a malevolent being and yet, she had protected those men who had been with her.

“Why did she curse you?”

“For my heart. She stole it and cursed me so I wouldn’t die. Then she made me forget her face and lair so I wouldn’t be able to find her.” Arabella explained with a shrug. Her sword was still gripped firmly in her hand. Ashik watched her warily. It was clear the witch who had stolen their hearts had not told the leviathan just who or what his target was.

“Why is she coming after me now?”

“You’ve angered her. She claimed you’re interfering with her plans,” Ashik answered as Arabella scoffed.

“I cannot interfere if I do not know where or who she is, much less what her plans are.” The woman and leviathan stood in silence as her words hung heavily in the air. Ashik could see she spoke the truth.  So why had Maera sent him? He could feel anger build in his gut. The witch was toying with both of them. He had been a foolish young lad when he had met Maera and he had let her take one of his hearts, but he had a feeling this woman hadn’t been as foolish.

“Those men, why did they not attack you when I put the idea into their heads?”

“The youngest one is my brother. And the others are just stupid.” Arabella replied simply in a matter of fact tone. Ashik fought the urge to laugh. He could feel himself growing to like this vibrant young woman and that thought pierced him to the core. Leviathans had never liked humans and Ashik was bitter toward all women since Maera’s betrayal but this human woman was making him forget that.

“You believe they care for you?”

“Damien claims he cares for me; although, I have no idea why. The others are afraid of me.”

***

Kaden and Damien could hear their conversation echoing through the surrounding fog. They thought they’d be able to use it to find Arabella and the mysterious man, but so far they came up empty-handed.

“I am not afraid of her,” Kaden growled more to himself than anyone else. Damien chuckled from beside him.

“I know you’re not. You’re just stupid,” Damien replied as Kaden shot him a dirty glare. He was half-tempted to shoot the man for his insolence but the thought of what Arabella would do stopped him cold in his tracks. While he knew she couldn’t feel love for her brother anymore, Kaden knew she felt loyalty. After all, she had stayed loyal to Jarrus and then to Kaden even though he had angered her on a constant and irrational basis.