His Life and Their Relationship

Lauricia wasn’t necessarily a pirate port. It was merchant port, but a lot of pirates hung around, looking for potential targets. So like any good business, there were places that catered to pirates and there were places that catered to non-pirates. It made Lauricia sort of a melting pot. Just as soon as Calypso’s Fall was docked and the gangplank was lowered, Kaden watched almost a third of his crew disembark with no intention of returning.

Honestly he couldn’t blame them.  

Arabella watched the men with a look of boredom. She leaned against the main mast with her arms folded across her chest as the fleeing men kept passing her fearful glances. No doubt they expected her to kill them simply because they knew her curse. She internally scoffed.

She didn’t care.

 They weren’t her problem. Her only concerns were Ashik, Damien and the witch. Arabella flexed her hands against her arms as she felt her magic sizzle and pop with her frustration. She frowned. It was becoming a lot more frequent.

Was it because she lost control?

“Hey, Bella,” Damien stood in front of Arabella and blocked her view of the escaping crewmen. Her eyes flitted to his and he smiled at her.

“Are we going ashore?”

“I’m not. You can. Take the Leviathan with you.” Arabella answered simply. Damien pouted.

“You’re always shoving me off on Ashik! Why?” He asked as Arabella sighed.

“Because should you get into trouble, Ashik can and will protect you. That is why, brother,” she replied truthfully. Damien stared at her. Her honest answer touched him.

“You called for me, little one?” Ashik appeared next to Arabella easily as she nodded.

“Go ashore with Damien. Make sure he doesn’t get into any trouble,” she replied as Ashik smiled and bowed his head.

“Yes, little one.” Arabella watched the Leviathan usher her brother down the gangplank. Damien fought a brief moment before he conceded and started to animatedly talk to Ashik. She noticed Kaden starting to head toward the gangplank. He was dressed to the nines. She scoffed; he was trying to lure new crewman aboard with the promise of riches no doubt.

“Be careful, Lockes. My father may have put up a bounty on our heads,” Arabella’s quick warning stopped Kaden in his tracks as he turned to look at her. She was dressed in her usual garb with her hair still in that plaited braid, but none of that took away from the beauty of her face and eyes.

“You’re not coming ashore?”

“Someone has to stay aboard the ship.” Arabella answered as she watched Jarrus limp up to them.

“And that someone is me, Bells. Go get changed and help that boy reman this ship,” Jarrus ordered as Arabella frowned and shook her head.

“Men are scared of me.”

“Smart men, then,” Jarrus joked as he gripped Arabella’s shoulder and pushed her toward the forecastle. Kaden watched her shoulders slump in surrender as she stomped toward her room. It had been a long time since he had seen her in full regalia.

 “Keep ‘er close boy.” Jarrus’s warning brought Kaden back out of his thoughts. Kaden looked over at him.

“Who? Bella?”

“Yeah, and stop actin’ like ya owe ‘er somethin’,” Jarrus finished as he turned to limp away. Kaden frowned.

“I don’t act…” He stopped in his retort. Arabella was crossing the deck toward him as if she owned the ship. Several of the remaining crewmen stopped and stared as she walked by. Her hair was still in its plaited braid, but atop her head was a black hat trimmed with red and gold lace. Her black pants were clean and tucked into polished heeled boots. A white peasant shirt hid her now exposed chest and a black corset hugged her frame. Her jacket flapped around her. She was still buttoning it up, so she kept her eyes focused on her hands. Her jacket was crafted from some of the toughest leather and softest silk. The outside of the coat was black with gold trim, but the moment the jacket was open, red and gold silk burst forward.