Chapter Nine ~ The Betrayer Revealed

Dedicated to Unicornsrule for placing first in my contest!

Chapter Nine

The Betrayer Revealed

            Morning light streamed through the kitchen windows, and if you’d peeked through the breakfast nook windows you would see a relatively normal scene. A young man tosses pancakes into the air, a toddler with striking similarities giggling as it fell right on his head, or stuck to the ceiling. In the doorway, a woman with fiery red hair snapped a photograph.

As another pancake stuck to the ceiling, Ginny got another photo and laughed at her fiancée “You know the pancakes are supposed to be eaten, right? Not played with.”

“She likes it,” he beamed, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her close “And so do you, I know it.”

Whacking him playfully, Ginny pulled Syrie out of the highchair Mrs. Weasley had supplied them and gave the toddler a snuggle as Harry got the pancakes down from the ceiling “Harry?” she asked, pouring syrup from the large bottle.

“Yup?”

“I was thinking…I only have one flower girl, so maybe…maybe Syrie could do it?”

Harry turned and handed her a plate, planting a kiss on her forehead “I think she would love that, Gin.”

“Great, I’ll let Mum know so she can start making Syrie’s dress. It’s a little late, but she’ll manage.” She turned to Syrie and began to cut her pancakes “Would you like to be the flower girl at daddy’s wedding, Syrie?”

“Yeah!” Syrie said, smearing syrup all over her face.

“She’ll look adorable, I’m sure. And she and Victoire…oh Mum is going to love this!” Ginny said, rushing off to get a quill and parchment.

“Daddy, what marry?” Syrie asked, brow furrowing-at that moment Harry saw how much alike they looked. But the moment was ruined when he realized Syrie didn’t understand what was happening; she didn’t know that her mother and father weren’t in a loving relationship, but really…she had no others to compare it to. The Aunts had both lost their loves for one reason or another, George was single and Syrie hadn’t been alive when they were together.

“Marry…well, sweetie…it’s when two people love each other very much and…well, they want to be together forever and so they…well, they have a party and say some very special words and…well then they’re bound in a way other people aren’t.”

“Momma, too?”

Harry shook his head sadly, guilt seizing his heart “No Syrie, not Momma. Not yet anyway…maybe someday. With someone Momma really, really loves and-and knows you will, too.”

“Daddy love Gin and Momma?” Syrie seemed very confused as she tried to work it out in the way only a two year old could “Daddy marry Gin, and love Momma?”