DATA SHEET

OVERPROJECT SIGMA FOUNDRY
PROJECT RED TOME
OPERATION TUNDRA FLOWER
OPERATION IRON BOX

Following Grenada the various Congressional and Senate investigation and recommendation committees issued their recommendations regarding preventing operational confusion as well as non-combat related deaths.

Of particular note was the confusion regarding military equipment. Thousands of military units, spread across four continents and many Pacific and Atlantic Islands, had a wide breadth of military equipment that had been manufactured at various points of the first two thirds of the 20th Century. From vehicles and weaponry manufactured after World War One and designed during the war years to experimental computer systems in inertial navigation for nuclear warheads designed to be launched from artillery systems designed during World War Two, the blatantly obvious problem of uniformity of equipment across services and units was finally realized by the Military Oversight Committees.

Additionally, what was considered to be 30 days of supplies to fight the Soviet Union were exposed as being only 20-24 days worth if all of it was provided to combat arms with nothing left over for support units.

Ammunition shortages, which had bogged down the defense of South Korea after the Chinese attack, which had damaged the US military's ability to fight in Vietnam, were shown to be near critical levels.

Overproject Sigma Foundry was brought out of the archives and went live. Nominally designed for rearming the US military during World War Three, it was adapted and put into place.

Designs, including the much beleagured Bradley Armored Fighting Vehicle Project, were hurriedly stamped "APPROVED" and rushed into production. New weapon systems, requiring new ammunitions, were pumped out every hour of every day for nearly a year. Munitions companies, from Remington to Dow Chemical, worked double or triple shifts to fill the massive orders of weapons.

Ammunition in storage depots in the United States were destroyed or sold on the open market to allies and civilians quietly and in large bulk to make room for the newer, but still decades old, ammunition that would be moved from military bunkers to the storage depots.

Overproject Sigma Foundry was put in place in order to coordinate the largest rearming and resupply in world history as the massive force that made up the US military was stripped down to bare skin and bone and completely regeared.

Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training was revamped. Ranger School and Special Forces Q Course were rebuilt, virtually from the ground up.

Overnight, decades of doctrine was revamped by the lessons learned from two world wars, two massive UN peace keeping missions, and dozens of successful and failed military operations spanning a hundred years.

The rank structure of the US Army was completely rebuilt. The Specialist ranks, previously used for non-combat arms, was discarded (with the exception of Specialist-4/Spec-4/Specialist) and the military members holding Technical Specialist ranks were folded into the previously Combat Arms ranks structure. This was due, in part, to the fact that promotion boards were often staffed by combat arms soldiers who looked down on "Persons Other than Grunt" or "Rear Echelon Mother Fuckers" and often passed them over for promotion as the rank structure was divided but the promotion slots and available slots of the Table of Organization and Equipment (TO&E) were not separated.

Thousands of vehicles were shipped out of Europe and Asian and back to the US for destruction or sale. Billions of tons of munitions and equipment had the same happen. Almost twice the weight and amount of the same were shipped back into those same spots, with "hot-swapping" taking place. A tanker, trucker, or other vehicle mounted personnel would exchange their old vehicle for a new one directly.