C.W.B.

"Someone's coming," Carmichael said, pointing behind me.

We'd been checking out the area around the artesian tap, making sure the ground was clear and everything was doing all right out there. The heavy cable from the satellite dishes ran toward the TOC and we checked the padlock on the heavy transfer and routing box to make sure nobody had snuck up and attached a tap to it.

I turned around in time to see one of the West German guards heading toward us. At the gate was a CUC-V and behind that at least two 5-ton trucks. I couldn't tell if there was any more in the woods beyond, but I was willing to bet money on it.

Following my motions the others trailed after me as I walked toward the German guard. When I got close enough he waved his arm as if we didn't see him.

"Vos is los?" I asked him, butchering the German language.

"There are members of an American infantry unit at the gate," He said. "The Leftenant wishes to know if you know they are coming and if you will permit them to enter."

I nodded. "Yeah, tell him to send them through." I pointed at the clear area under the first part of Dinosaur Row. "Tell them to park there."

He nodded, tilting his head and pressing the button on his lapel mic. He spoke rapid fire German as he went one way, toward the small cinderblock building the German soldiers used, we went the other, heading for Dinosaur Row's first roof and frame structure. Underneath it were old semi-tractors, jeeps, pickup trucks from the 1950's, and other non-construction or war fighting vehicles.

"You expecting them?" Carmichael asked me.

"Yeah. Henley warned me they were coming," I told him. "When we get to the road, jog down to the Rangers and grab their two chemical specialists. You guys are going to be checking masks and issuing out sealed chemical suits from the war stocks," I said.

"Roger that," he answered.

"All three of you come back and find me. Get the medical specialist from the Ranger team, whoever it is, have them report to me too. He's going to be Cromwell's assistant and teacher for their med-checks," I said.

"Roger," Carmichael said.

We walked to the road by the time they'd started pulling in at the overhang. Carmichael took off at a steady double-time toward where I'd told the Rangers to set up as soon as we hit the road.

"You don't say shit unless I talk to you first, Cromwell," I said.

She didn't say 'language', just nodded.

By the time I got there a Lieutenant Colonel, a Sergeant Major, and a Major had gotten out of the vehicle and for a second I wondered if maybe 2/19th had finally got a chain of command. The infantry tab on the officer's lapels quickly squelched that wish.

"Corporal Stillwater, Site NCOIC and Crew Operations Leader," I said, stepping into the Colonel with my hand out. He took it reflexively, obviously expecting me to salute. "This is a live fire area, the Soviets have a highly skilled sniper up, so this is a non-saluting area by order of V Corps and 7th Army," I told him.

I expected argument, not for him just to quietly nod. "We were briefed by Chief Henley," He told me. He had a slightly Midwest accent, Oklahoma or Nebraska, fitting with his plain face and brownish blonde hair. "He let us know how things stand out here."

"Did you receive an operations packet?" I asked him.

"Chief Henley had a courier waiting. I haven't had a chance to unseal it yet," He told me. He nodded and the Major held up a thick packet that was still sealed by red tape.