t h i r t y - f o u r

nova's pov :

"wow. would you look at who's being nice to me." grayson points at perla

"shut the fuck up and get out of the car, grayson." perla laughs

i feel the exterior of the car with my index finger, something i do to try to distract myself. from the corner of my eye, i see perla and grayson nudging each other to try and talk to me. i laugh to myself and walk away, with them running after me.

"guys i'm not some celebrity that you're afraid to talk to. i'm fine." i smile

they narrow their eyebrows at me, doubtful of my statement.

"my god." i laugh and run away

grayson and perla laugh behind me and i hear them running behind me, trying to catch up.

"are you ok though? like truly?" grayson asks

i sadly nod and perla lays her head on my shoulder and grayson rubs my forearm, them both trying to comfort me.

"i'll kick this sand at you if you don't give me that fucking sunscreen." perla threatens

"try me. i'm not scared." grayson says

perla scoffs and nods her head. smirking, she kicks a pile of sand at grayson's face and i gasp in surprise.

"did that get in your eye?!" i worry

"nova. he's fine." perla laughs

"you bitch!" grayson yells

he runs after perla and her eyes widen, running away from him. grabbing me, she uses me as her shield and i laugh and push grayson away from her.

"apologize." i point at her

"sorry dickhead." she laughs

i narrow my eyes at her and point at her again.

"ok, ok. sorry." she smile and holds out her hand for grayson to shake

grayson crosses his arms across his chest and i tilt my head.

"you guys are like kids. grayson just accept her apology." i sigh

he rolls his eyes and holds his hand out, shaking it with perla's. perla smirks and slaps him across the face gently and grayson and i gasp in shock.

"see?! she's an ass!" grayson yells, watching her run away

"give her her sunscreen."

he gasps in shock but gives in, grabbing the expensive sunscreen from his bag. perla holds her hands out and grayson throws it at her instead.

"if that opened up, you would've been dead by now." perla says and grabs the sunscreen from the sand

"i'll get you the sunscreen, grayson." i laugh

"really!" he smiles

i nod and he hugs me, pushing me to the sand with him on top of me.

"i love you but please get off me. you're heavy." i laugh

i feel another heavy weight on top of me and i groan in pain.

"perla!" i yell

she laughs and gets off, also grabbing grayson's hand and helping him off of me.

"what about me?" i gasp

grayson holds his hand out and i grab it. he pulls our hands towards his chest, making me yelp up and i laugh in shock.

"holy fuck, how did you... i don't even know."

grayson laughs and i get back in the shade with my belongings.

"you're not gonna actually not swim. are you?" perla asks

"you thought i was joking? no, i'm actually not swimming." i smile

perla and grayson look at me with disgust and i scoff.

"hey! don't look at me like that!" i pout

they laugh and perla grabs my arm, trying to get me up.

"no! ok, ok. you go. i'll come later." i smile and look up at her

"fine." she sighs

i watch as they run into the blue water and my eyes trail around the beach, watching everyone.

my eyes land on ethan and alison and i immediately regret my decisions of looking around.

"ethan!" alison yells

he wraps his arms around her waist and throws her into the water. i smile at the view but i feel my eyes well up with salty tears. a tear rolls down my cheek but i quickly wipe it away, still smiling at them.

alison comes back to the surface and hits ethan's chest. he laughs and brings her closer, staring into her eyes and kissing her. i give up and slap my book on the sand, walking to the bathroom's.