#3

A/N : I hate to write author's note but I have to. This is just roughly written. It will be edited soon! If anyone wants to get a glimpse of story... well...

The room which Cloud just got out of fell silent. Vincent who had been looking at the door turned his head and glanced at Claire.

"It seems Cloud already knew you're a shapeshifter."
Vincent started again carefully. Claire who were fidgetting her hands looked him in the eyes.

"Ah... yes. It's kind of a long story. Well, I can tell you if you don't mind though."
She nervously laughed. She sounded like she's a bit trembling. But her past could no longer be veiled even if she tried to. It had to be uncovered oneday. Vincent nodded as approval. She nodded back and took a deep breath.

"Our species was as rare as Cetra. But when I was little, Hojo managed to find us. We didn't know what he was seeking for. He took us far away from our hometown where I can't even remember and started to perform so called experiments. As time went by, my people began to disappear one by one. But oneday, someone saved me from that hell. To be honest, I can't... rememeber clearly. Only the feelings and emotions such as fear, loneliness, sadness... linger inside. But still... I remember what he said. Don't look back and never come back here. Just run away as far as you can..."
She tried to remind herself of what'd been past. She frowned a little as if those memories were too blurry to remember. Vincent waited for her to finish.

"There's nothing left. No home, no family, no friends... I did whatever I could to escape from Shinra. But in this planet, it's almost impossible to escape from Shinra's grasp. So I had lived, holding my breath for so long. And then, Cloud found me. My appearance... No, I was a monster so he was supposed to kill me. For a few seconds, I even thought like... Isn't it better for me to die? Then, my savior crossed my mind. So I begged of him to spare me just once, showing my real self. Thankfully, he, however, did not only save me but also was willing to be my family."
She finished, smiling. She looked happy, thinking about her friends and family.
But Vincent looked lost in thought. Did The memories buried deep in his mind which he didn't ever want to be reminded of cross his mind?

"Have you ever... blamed him...?"
She tilted her head at his question.
He didn't gave her a clue. He was merely waiting for her answer.

"Never. Rather grateful. Thanks to him, I met you guys. This... this is more than I dared hope for."

He didn't respond. Just he strove to ignore the memories past his mind. The past is like a shackle binding him with unbearable pain. His efforts were futile. The voices begging of him and fragments of dreadful memory rang into his ears.

"Please, at least for this child! We will stay here obediently... Please!"

"Hmm... How about starting with that kid..."

"Hojo, that psycho! He's gonna perform experiments on that little kid! That's not an experiment! That's a damn torture!"

"Don't look back and never come back here. Just run away as far as you can."

"Vincent! Vincent! Don't leave me alone! Vincent!"

*

"Vincent? Are you here?"

"I was just thinking. It must have been tough for you."
Her voice was overlapped. Vincent got out of pitch black darkness, catching his breath. He said, dropping his head. The reason her name was familiar... I didn't want to...

"It was. But now, everything is fine. Because you guys are here. Right beside me."
She replied, holding his arm gently. She sensed his mood change. She put on a reassuring smile to relieve his anxiety. However, she lost balance and fell. He promptly caught her in his arms and helped her to keep balance. No, she's not fully recovered yet.

"Claire, get some rest."

"I think I should. Thanks, Vincent."
She rested her head on a quite uncomfortable pillow. Still her soft smile was lingering on her face.

"I've done nothing for you to thank me."
His hoarse voice died away. He pulled the blanket slightly to let her body rest underneath it.

"Yes, you've done. You're here."
She said, closing her eyes. Sleep... safe and sound...