#2

It felt like few hours passed.
Claire didn't even inch. Vincent was restless. Shalua told him she would wake up soon. But there was no sign for her to wake up. He was just watching her breathing patiently.
Another few hours might have passed.
She let out a soft groan. Vincent raised his head instantly, watching her every move. Claire, who just opened her eyes, tried to figure out where she was, looking at unfamiliar surroundings.

"Claire, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just a little dizzy."
She's startled by his voice right beside her, sitting up on her elbows to be on guard. But soon, she reassured one of her friends who had been staying at her side all this time with a weak smile.

"Sorry. I didn't know It was you."

"Why are you apologizing? It's I who have to apologize. Sorry I didn't tell you what I am before. I caused you so much trouble."
Vincent, who never shows his emotions before anyone, sounded unusually fragile. She didn't want to burden him with more sins. Because she knew that he was already overwhelmed by his sins from the past. And what had happened might have been all her fault. What if she hadn't conceal her past and herself from everyone she loves. But she was too afraid to reveal her ugly self.

"You are a shapeshifter, aren't you?"
Vincent started carefully. Then, it was getting distracting outside the door.

*

"Sir, you're not allowed to get inside."

"I'm her friend. I have to get inside."

"Sir!"
It was Cloud. It seemed he didn't even bother to meet either Reeve or Shalua first. The guard made futile efforts not to let him in as he had been ordered.
But Cloud is Cloud. He just pushed the guard like he's nothing and let himself in. He looked desperate to find Claire.

"Claire!"

"Cloud?"
Finally, he found her. He ran to her.
He held her shoulders lightly, trying not to cause her more pain, and checked how serious her wounds were.

"Are you okay? I've got a call from Marlene and Tifa. Damn! Who did this?"
Cloud was definitely furious at what happened to her and himself. He should've been by their side. Even though they were by his side whenever he needed them, he was always far away when they needed him. He wanted to crush whatever did this to her.

"Sorry..."

"Huh?"
He got taken aback by the apology fallen from Vincent's mouth. Cloud didn't expect in the least that it would be Vincent who hurt Claire.

"Cloud, calm down. I'm fine. Let me explain, okay?"
If she let him speak more, he must've blamed onto himself. She laid her hand on Cloud's callused hand holding her shoulders and said.

"Okay. Okay..."
He took a deep breath to calm down.
And he patiently waited for her to explain.

"Deepground Soldiers came out of nowhere. I had to protect Tifa and Marlene. So I had them hidden and transformed myself into a Behemoth. I think Vincent was passing by the bar. After the situation resolved, Vincent came in and noticed something wrong. Then, I was a Behemoth. He didn't know It was me."

"Transformed? In front of Tifa and Marlene?"

"Sorry... It couldn't be helped. I couldn't just wait for someone to appear and rescue us."
His face started to get stained with guilt.
'If I'd been there...', he thought.

"But you could've been killed! Deepground Soldiers are not...!"

"I know, I know. But I'm fine. Look at me. And Tifa and Marlene are also fine. That's all that matters!"
She retorted to his scolding. Both Cloud and Claire are selfless. For them, their families and friends are top priorities.
He checked her wounds once again with a look of anxiety and regret.

"You're in the middle of delivery, aren't you? I'm sorry for making you come all this way."

"You're more important. I'm glad you're okay."
She clasped his hand and said. That was a kind of gesture telling he didn't need to worry about her anymore. He took his hands off her and placed them on his hip as he noticed that sign.

"Vincent."

"Hmm?"
He called Vincent indifferently.
Vincent answered, averting his eyes from him.

"I hate to leave her alone. But I've got to go. Could you take care of her? Until she's fully recovered."
Someone who didn't know the real Cloud could have thought his words were spat out of his mouth. But inside his voice, there were affection and worries.

"Yes. Anyway, I'm the cause."
He nodded. Cloud nodded back as though he was satisfied with his response. He walked out after he hugged Claire carefully.