Giant-Human Complications

"Poppet, can we talk about your picture again?" He looked down at the original drawing which was now scribbled over. She didn't come towards him, so he gently wrapped his hand around her and deposited her into his open palm. She wouldn't look at him.

"I know you're not very happy with me, but I wanted you to know that I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, lass." He stroked her backside with his index finger. "I still don't think I'd be the best candidate to take care of you, but I'd love to adopt you anyway."

She instantly perked up. "Really?"

"I really would, but the agency doesn't really want me to adopt you." He sighed.

"Whyyyy?" she wailed pitifully.

"Because I'm a giant, poppet." He smiled wryly.

"So?" she whimpered, grappling onto his thumb.

"Giants eat people. I've eaten people." he admitted.

She let go of his thumb. "Are you gonna eat me?"

"Gods no." He shook his head, disgusted by the mere thought. He hated even thinking about it. He loved that lass. Merely contemplating the feeling of the little thing writhing down his throat made him feel nauseous.

"Then why can't you adopt me?" He was grateful that the human's question was drawing him away from the twisted idea.

"Because they don't know for sure that I won't hurt you." He poked her with his thumb.

She latched onto it again. "But they don't know if the humans will hurt me either," she protested.

"I know, poppet. They're just looking out for your best interest." he paused, "But I talked to the agency, and I was told that I could adopt you with one stipulation. If you're sure you want me to adopt you, then I'm going to need you to talk to some folks at the agency without me being there."

Her eyes widened. "Why?"

"They want to make sure that you feel safe with me," he explained.

"I do!" she exclaimed.

"You have to be the one to tell them that," he informed her.