Summer: Chapter 24

Chapter Twenty-four

Silas parked his car in front of his apartment building after a morning of meetings, meetings and more meetings, and drudged up the four flights of stairs to find Min sitting on the top step.

“Hey,” she said.  “I was just about to call you.”

He didn’t say a word.  He swooped her up in his arms and fumbled with the key in the lock as his mouth sealed like glue to hers.  The door swung open and she laughingly clung to him as he carried her to the couch.

“I can’t believe you’re here,” he said, kissing her neck.  “Why didn’t you tell me you’d be here?” he asked, kissing her ear.  “God, I’ve missed you,” he moaned, kissing her cheeks, jawbone, neck again, shoulder, and back up again.

“I went to see Nicole’s mother,” she said when he finally let her speak.  His lips immobilized against the hollow of her throat.

“You did?” he asked, bringing his head up.  “How’d that go?”

“Not well,” she said, sitting upright.

Silas offered a sympathetic look.  “I was afraid of that.”  He sighed and removed his hands from her.  He should just ignore his gentlemanly instincts and take her to bed right now.  “Okay, let’s hear the story,” he said, biting back an exasperated curse.

Min skipped the whole part about how she found where Nicole’s mother lived and dived right into pressing her finger on the doorbell of a massive, three-story brick mansion with a circular drive and precisely, manicured lawns.  And he watched how her face grew shades darker when describing it.

Nicole came from a well-off household and a mother that wanted nothing to do with her, and was now living in a run-down group home, about to bear a child she can’t keep.  Min was pissed.

“And she opens the door, as grandly as a queen would wave to her subjects,” Min spit out.  “I took one look at the woman and was disgusted.  I couldn’t stand it.  I just turned around and left.”

“You left without talking to her?”

“I was too mad, Silas.  I was afraid I might do something to her.  I’m not a sadist, but I would have enjoyed watching her writhe with some soul-ripping pain.”  Min shuddered and rested her head on his shoulder.  He understood that feeling well and smiled a little.

“Oh, honey.  That kind of emotion comes with the job, I’m afraid.”

“That’s twice,” she said.

“What is?”

“You called me honey again.”

“You don’t like it?” he asked into her hair.  His hand rested against her waist, twitching to go exploring.

“I love it, but I’m not used to it.”

He chuckled.  “That’s my mother’s favorite endearment.  That and ‘dear.’  I guess she’s finally wearing off on me.”

“I like your mother.  We should have met a long time ago.  And speaking of mothers, that’s kind of why I’m here.  I need your help.”

“With Nicole’s mother?”

“Yeah,” she sighed.  “I wouldn’t ask, but you’ve done this kind of thing before, but well, we’re here…alone…but I have to drive back soon and…”

He kissed her to shut her up.  “I’ll do anything for you, Min.  Come on; let’s go before I change my mind.”

She directed him to the house of Linda McKay.  He let out a slow, angry whistle.  “You weren't kidding.”