The Werewolf Effect

Entry # 137

Dear Matty,

It's 11:47 PM, which means it's still my birthday. When I asked if you could get me something nice, I didn't mean bring a heard of Them after team of mostly new recruits. Not to mention, how hard it is becoming to keep my secret. The rescue team thinks my bravery is foolish, but when there really isn't nothing to lose, I don't care that I am the one to volunteer first for everything. So, you can't blame me if this entire entry is covered in blood. I was hoping for a quick extraction, but then again hope is a stupid thing to have. Well, this ended on a bit of a depressing note... I hope all is well with you. Talk to you soon.

Love, 

E.

"So, that's why you brought your backpack." Oliver plopped down next to me and I quickly shut the book and shoved it into my bag. I grumbled in annoyance. Just the sight of another human being was giving me a headache.

We were currently in an abandon building seven miles away from the fort. We were able to track the thieves quite easily, only four miles out of town, but the ambush caused us to push farther back. If it were up to me, I would make the team go back to the fort tonight and Oliver couldn't have picked a worse place to stay.

It was a small house with two main floors and a basement. The first floor was completely trashed with broken glass and other random shit sprawled across the floor. It had three major rooms, the kitchen, the living room, and the study. No one seemed to particularly fond of the basement. The smell of death seemed to linger down there and it gave most of us the creeps. As for the second floor, the staircase was completely destroyed and it was almost impossible to get up there. The floor had a few bedrooms, another study and a couple bathrooms. I know this because I was currently residing in the master bed room. (I said it was almost impossible to get up there.) Those who were still strong enough, had to barricade the doors and windows with whatever useless stuff we could find. I of course did the upper floor by myself because I really didn't want anyone up here with me. When I was done, I sat down on the end of the bed and rested my head against the wall before, writing to Matty.

"Don't you have some things to do?" Fighting a herd of Them, boarding up the entire upper floor, and now having to deal with Oliver, was making my headache a whole lot worse. All I really want to do is sleep, but I doubted I'd get any in a room that felt so, stuffy, but then again that could be because Oliver is here.

"No." He simply said as he pulled out some gauze from his own personal bag.

"You are commander of this team isn't there like comandery things to be done?" I stared at him quizzically.

"Well, I checked the doors and windows, you did this floor all by yourself?" He didn't hesitate to let me respond. "Nicely done." He winked at me and I opened my mouth to protest, but once again he continued. "I checked on all the troops, we have a few shaken up men, but that's the usual when it comes to new recruits. One of the thieves arn't-"

"Hey! What the hell do you think you're doing?!" I said cutting him off. He caught me off guard by trying to brush some hair out of my face. I shoved my body into the wall as far as I could hoping, wishing, that I could just melt into it. Sweat started to bead down my forehead and for a moment, it was hard to focus on the boy in front of me.

"Whoa, hey, I didn't mean to scare you. You're head is just bleeding so, I just wanted to help you out." He raised his other hand to show the gauze. "I'm sorry if I scared you."

"It's fine." I said pulling my knees to my chest. "I can usually handle talking to people, but when they get close to me, that's when I..."

"You, do know I'm not one of them right?" He put the gauze in front of my face and I took it, along with some tape.