Chapter 3

There must have been some mistake... Prim had one slip in thousands! Hadn't I done everything? Taken the tesserae, refused to let her do the same? One slip. One slip in thousands.

I have to remember to breathe, the air's been knocked violently from my lungs. The odds had been entirely in her favour, but it hadn't mattered.

I see her walk up, fists clenched tightly at her sides, and her blouse forming a ducktail. This is what brings me back, that one bit of untucked fabric.

"Prim!" I yell out "No!" I suck in air. "I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute!"

At first, Effie is confused, not knowing what to do about this situation. No one has volunteered in District twelve, so the rules are a little foggy. But finally, the mayor just stops her. Allowing me onto the stage.

I push Prim roughly behind me, refusing to let the tears fall. She yells at me, arms flailing to hold me back. But someone steps up and pulls her away; sobbing.

I look out at the crowd, forcing a stony expression onto my face, they wont see me as weak. I search for Peeta's shining blue eyes, and they find me through the array of people. His face is desperate, unbelieving, tragic. I can hardly watch it.

"And what's your name dear?" Effie asks cheerfully

"Katniss Everdeen" I say coldly.

"I bet my buttons that was your sister!" I don't reply.

Suddenly, Haymitch Abernathy, district twelve's only victor, comes up onto he front of the stage. He points shakily in my direction, his eyes bloodshot, seeking the cameras.

"I like this one, lots of spunk!" then he makes his way forward "More than you!" he points directly into the camera "More than you!!" Then he not so gracefully tumbles  to the edge, and does a nosedive off the stage.

And Effie chooses to ignore this and moves on to the other ball.  I never let my eyes leave Peeta's, I want every last moment I have with him. And then Effie reads out the other tribute name.

"Peeta Mellark!!"

Now I really can hardly hold back the tears. He runs up desperately trying to reach me. And the moment he makes it onstage, he wraps me in his arms, whispering soothing words in my ear.

Effie looks at us curiously, then moves past it.

"This year's tributes; Katniss Everdeen, and Peeta Mellark!!"

Peeta is the only thing keeping me standing, I know that my wobbly knees would give out without his support.

Why him? I think. Of everyone in District twelve, why does it have to be someone I care for?

Effie asks for volunteers, but no one steps up. Peeta has two brothers, one of them too old now to volunteer, but the other wouldn't sacrifice himself for Peeta. Family devotion only goes so far, especially in their family.

The mayor begins reciting the treaty of treason, but I'm not listening to any of it.

I cant shake this feeling of absolute despair. All I know is I can't live without him. At least, odds are someone will kill me before I have to see Peeta die.

Of course, the odds have not been very dependable of late