Part 5

I walk into homeroom with a smile on my face, and a few people stare. I remember what happened the day before and smile even wider as I sit at my desk. I doubt I'll be seeing that girl anymore, I think I hurt her ego too much. I shouldn't have done that so soon, I wanted to play a little more. Just as I lose myself in thought, a short girl with long brown hair and too skinny of a body comes up to me and puts her hands on her hips, striking a sassy pose.
"What the heck, Alex. You made Jewel cry. You need to come apologize. She liked you, and she had the guts to say it." The girl said angrily, moving her mouth too much. I stare in disbelief, making myself look completely offended.
"I'm sorry, I didn't know I was rude. I'm still learning American culture. But do you really expect me to say sorry when I've only been in school four days?" I say sternly. By now she's dropped her pose.
"Yes, Alex. I do expect that. Ever heard of love at first sight? And don't give me that 'I'm foreign' crap." She yells, and puts her hands back on her hips.
"First, my name is Alexandre. Second, yes I have heard of true love, but I don't believe in it. Third, I can use that excuse because it's true and I haven't been here long enough to experience the American culture enough to understand it like you do. Fourth, please stop yelling at me and using vulgar words, it's rude and makes you look even worse." I calmly explain to her and look hurt.
"Alex please, don't test me." She rolls her eyes.
"Why not? Are you mentally challenged?" Innocently tilting my head and looking curious, I hear the rest of the class snicker quietly and the girls face turns bright red. She looks back at them, fuming.
"Just leave the dude alone Jenny, nobody cares that Jewel couldn't get another guy to play ken doll." A boy says over the class.
"She doesn't- Actually- *Ugh*! Why are you defending the new kid!" She screams.
"Because he's not you and Jewel." A girl with purple and red hair says behind her as Jenny whips around, clenching her teeth.
"Do you have a problem with us?" She hisses.
"Yeah. I do. But I doubt it's just me." She chuckles, and whispers of agreement explode in the classroom.
"Hmph. Wait until Jewel hears about this and Alex breaks her heart." She gathers herself.
"It's Alexandre." Someone else says.
She scowls loudly then walks off, hand on hip, and flips her hair.
"Finally, she's gone." Someone says, and the class quietly cheers.
As quickly as it had started, the commotion ends and the bell rings for class. After, I get my backpack and skates from my locker, go to the front desk to collect work I would miss, then leave for practice. As soon as I stuff my things into Mr.Hanclease's car I start running toward the ice rink. He passes me fairly quickly and puts a thumbs-up out the window for me.
I approach the rink very out of breath, and go inside for practice. When I get to the rink, Mr.Hanclease attempts to apologize.
"Alex, please just listen to me. I-" He moves his hands franticly.
"No. I told you I didn't want an audience. I just want to practice. If you try any more stunts, I will dismiss you as my coach." I say sternly, and step onto the ice. "Now, please. Teach me."
"Okay. Fine. Uh, I want you to do a warm-up routine of a triple toe loop, followed by a salchow, quad lutz, and triple axel. Put different choreography between the jumps, but do them in that order. Also, the music will be the free-skate song from your last competition." He pauses a few times, thinking to himself, and nods in the end.
"Can I add one more jump?" I ask, and start thinking about how I should execute it all smoothly.
"Sure, go ahead. Just don't push yourself too much, okay?" He says, and I quickly thank him.
I go to the middle of the rink, and wait for the music, but it never comes.