Chapter Twenty-Nine

Monday, 24 April 1916

Through the remainder of the Easter weekend, more meetings were held in the men's mess, both strategic and of a more intimate nature. On Saturday, Georg took David and Bethia on a tour to examine the planting preparations in the new vineyard plots and to gain a fresh overview of the route of the tunnel extension. But much of the time was spent in less-focused activities, relaxing and chatting. On Sunday evening, an extended family of eighteen enjoyed a splendid goose dinner.

Mid-morning on Monday, David and Maria left Sonnenhang to drive back to Bern. After a pause in Brug for a quick lunch, they continued southward up the Aar Valley. At a lull in their conversation, she asked, "When will the men go into Germany?"

"The new moon is a week tomorrow, and we want to take advantage of the dark nights. So, as soon as John can arrange the explosives, the fuse caps and the cord, and get it all to them, they'll head across." He shrugged. "Likely Wednesday or Thursday."

"That soon?"

"They'll need to observe each of their targets. Get a feel for the activity in the area. Determine where best to set the charges and when. Plan fuse runs and timings and plot their departure routes."

"So many details. This is very high risk, isn't it?"

"It is. But Hans and Greg saw no guards near any of the sites that they surveyed. Seems either the Germans don't consider them at risk, or they cannot spare anybody. This should allow the men to get everything planned quickly, and then meet to coordinate their big bang."

"That's good." She smiled. "They'll have time for dickie dipping."

David chuckled. "I hope Manny has finally lost his self-centred attitude."

"But from my research, I've learned it's a very common one." She shrugged. "Most men begin with no understanding that shoving it in and pumping, as Manny described it, does little to excite a woman. They learn through experience or by being guided by a confident woman."

"Yeah." David slowly bobbed his head as he thought.

Maria watched his changing expression for a long while in silence, then she said, "You're thinking about Sister Clemencia, aren't you?"

"I am. I've not before allowed myself to examine this." He blew out a deep breath. "She had an attitude similar to Manny's. It was all about her pleasure, and she cared nothing about mine."

"Nor about what her abuse of you was doing to your young mind, to your emotions, to your confusion, shame and guilt."

"I was nothing but a dildo for her. A tool she could manipulate. And she made me feel inadequate and to blame when she failed to climax."

"Why did you continue?"

"I did receive some physical pleasure from it." David laughed. "But how silly this seems now. She threatened to tell the priest what I'd been doing if I stopped visiting her. "

"Adding more guilt. Guiding you to believe you were the evil one."

"So silly, thinking back on it."

"I'm delighted you can now see this for what it was." Maria tilted her head and smiled. "Her instructions taught you how to pleasure a woman and how to focus on doing that, rather than on your own gratification. That's why you were such a caring lover our first night."

"Yes, I suppose that's true." He pursed his lips and nodded. "But caused me five, going on six years of buried shame and guilt."

"You're past that now, David. The way you handled Manny when he talked about Rick's size; that shows you're no longer affected by it."

David chuckled. "Such a simple mind he has about some things. How on earth would a huge penis be a prerequisite for becoming an officer?"

"But he's so endearing in many ways. I hope he finds a woman who recognises this and teaches him how to properly make love."

Bern, Switzerland

Stanley greeted David and Maria as he opened the door. "Welcome back, Sir. The Ambassador wishes to see you immediately you arrive." He pointed to the bags. "I shall have those taken up. He's in his office."

David glanced at Maria and nodded up the stairs. "I'll join you up there shortly."

Maria chuckled. "Another of your shortly time estimates?"

"I'll send word if it's not." He kissed her cheek, then strode across the foyer and knocked on the Ambassador's open door.

"Come in, David." Evelyn pointed to a chair. "We have been told to identify all Irish citizens who work with us around the world. Have you any on your team?"

David shook his head. "No, none, Sir. Though my great-grandfather fled the Irish potato famine in the 1840s and settled in Canada. The same with Rick." He paused to think. "Neither of us identifies as Irish. We're fourth-generation Canadian."

"Yes, as I had thought. There are unsettling developments in Ireland."

"In Ireland?"

"I've received a series of messages from London. Intelligence have been watching a group in Dublin who call themselves the Irish Republican Brotherhood. On Saturday, a shipment of arms to them from Germany was intercepted, and the ship was scuttled to prevent capture. We've been anticipating the rebels will launch an attempt to overthrow British rule, and this shows it might well be in the next short while."

"Support from Germany?" David shook his head. "This seems a strange turn of loyalty."

"There has been ongoing dissatisfaction with British rule for many decades, mostly quiet, but there have been armed uprisings in the past. It appears the rebel's so-called Military Council have decided the time is now ripe with us being distracted by the fighting on the Continent. It's apparent they've received offers of support from Germany."

David nodded, stroking his beard. "A German foothold in Ireland will disrupt the balance. Give them easier access to us. We'll now have to reposition to be ready to defend against their attacks from the west."

"Indeed! We suspect this is part of Germany's plan. Have us withdraw troops from the Front to defend ourselves here. We've now deployed an Infantry battalion, an Artillery company and a Navy gunboat to Ireland, hoping to nip this in the bud."

"How has this become so serious so quickly?"

"The Irish discontent has long been simmering, but we think a German offer of support brought it to a boil."

David blew out a deep breath. "Truly unsettling."

"Let's set that aside for now. How was your weekend? How's Maria?"

"Both splendid. Tante — Mrs Eberhardt has agreed to lease her house in Erzingen, so the tunnel extension may proceed. I'll send a message to G to have him arrange for sappers. The team has put together a fine plan for nine strategic gasworks in the Rhein Basin, so as soon as we can get explosives to them, they'll head north. We're looking at blowing the sites a week tomorrow."

The Ambassador smiled. "I had anticipated your need for explosives soon, so Wallinger will be here for dinner this evening." He glanced at the clock on the wall. "Will you and Maria join Edith and me for tea?"

"We'd be delighted to, Sir."