Chapter Six

Following lunch and a thorough interrogation by Georg, David and Maria headed upstairs and along the hall to their suite, opening the door to the fragrance of fresh flowers. They paused to examine the overflowing vases on the tables, the window sills and the fireplace mantle, Maria dabbing welling tears as she spoke, "Mama's been busy. I had asked her to open the windows and air the rooms for us."

David set the bags down and closed the door, then he wrapped Maria in a hug. Their lips merged. A passionate while later, Maria trembled as she broke the kiss. "I've missed this. Missed you." She nodded toward the bedroom as she pulled the ribbon to untie the bow in her bodice. "It'll be quicker if we undress ourselves."

After their initial frenzy, they lay connected and gently shifting their hips in an intimate cuddle under the duvet as they talked, adding details to what they had written in their letters. Maria outlined her studies and exam schedule. "I'll be finished the twenty-fourth of May"

"So, you'll be able to relax until the fall term. That will be a big change for you." He chuckled. "You'll likely get bored and search for projects."

"I already have a project. This week, Dr Betancourt requested I work with him as a research associate through the summer." She hummed a moan as she increased her churning. "Let me concentrate on another."

A pleasant while later, as they stood in the shower washing each other, David asked, "When will this begin bulging?"

"It varies from woman to woman." She ran her hands down her flat midriff and shrugged. "With my slender body, it will likely be this week or next. I've already gained two kilos."

"Much of that must be from the increase in these." He cupped her breasts with his hands and gently hefted, grazing his thumbs across her nubbins as he did. "They've grown substantially."

She trembled. "Not as tender now as they were the past few weeks."

A while later, after they had dried and dressed, Maria opened her satchel. "I have a selection of the latest German and French newspapers here and also envelopes from Evelyn, Henry, Rick and others. You're going to be busy catching up."

He nodded. "Likely a précis from each of them about events since I've been gone."

Maria dug out three large envelopes and handed them to him, then she held up a magazine. "Oh, and Edith gave me her recent issues of Woman's Life to browse through, and I think I've found your Conrad." She opened it. "Here, at the bottom of the third page. Is this him?"

"Oh, my! Yes, it is

"Oh, my! Yes, it is." He read through the brief article, then he looked up with tears in his eyes. "I'm so relieved he hasn't been incarcerated as an enemy alien. Over eight thousand have been sequestered in Canada, and I had lost track of him after I volunteered last year — God, nearly two years ago now."

"What about New Zealand? Wouldn't they incarcerate him? They're in this war as well."

David pointed to the article. "He's being bold and open about his presence, so he's likely been seen as not a threat. He had been brought to Canada in 1909 by the Alpine Club as their first professional guide. That was two years before we met."

David stroked his beard and nodded as he reminisced. "He had sailed to New Zealand in late 1912, and spent the southern summer guiding there before returning to Canada to resume his Alpine Club position in 1913. When we climbed in 1914, he told me he had again spent the southern summer in New Zealand." He chuckled. "He's an impulsive man, not into detailed planning, but when he decides, he gives it his all."

"Like you."

"Yes, I suppose. That's why we worked so well together." He pulled her into a hug. "And like you."

<><><>

After David had read the contents of the three packets from the British Embassy in Bern, he sat with Georg in the withdrawing room. "The French bombers have been unable to inflict any significant damage to our targets. They're near the limits of their flying range, and even if they identify the targets, they carry insufficient explosives to have much effect. The War Office wants us to destroy the coal gas plants we've identified."

"What about the earth gas works in Pirmasens?"

"Too heavily guarded to even approach. The only way is from the air, and it is now their prime target."

Georg nodded. "So, how do you see this happening? The coal gas?"

"I think the fuse salesmen cover is still sound. Still gives a reason for the men to be snooping around looking for munitions plants. Rick and I had identified five gas plants along the Rhein between Mannheim and Germersheim. The men can begin by assessing how best to render them inoperable."

"Well-placed plastic would be the simplest. What about guards?"

"We saw none at any of the five plants — that was the beginning of February." David shrugged. "Now with so many soldiers being poured into the way of the French artillery at Verdun, there is little chance they can spare any."

"After we blow the first one, there will be guards on the rest. Best to do a bunch simultaneously."

"Yes, my thoughts as well." David opened a folder and pulled out three sheets of drawings and photographs. "These show some of the typical configurations of coal gas plants." Pointing to the marks, he continued, "The critical parts are marked — the ones which will most easily render the plants inoperable."

Georg smiled as he examined the pages. "I remember these from my days at Chatham. God, I was teaching this when I was recruited to the team. Those two are British, but this one is German." He chuckled. "I'd love a chance to practice what I preached."