Chapter 7: Ethan

Perspective: Maeve

Currently, I'm running on top of buildings heading to the marketplace with a massive smile on my face. I didn't expect Ethan to actually allow me to be responsible for once. Ever since Vincent left, Ethan has had to go get the groceries himself. He always had Vincent get the groceries in his place because he knew Vincent would have the time to find all the sales. He really knew his way around the marketplace. I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to come out this far into the city. It was only when I became an adult that I was allowed to go anywhere on my own. Maybe Ethan was too scared of losing me, like I'd get eaten by a pack of wolves or something. Probably not; he's never been the clingy type.
Maybe I'm the clingy one, like how I am with this cloak. Ever since I got it, I've been wearing it every chance I get. Even after a year and a half worth of practice, I'm still not fluent with my new skill. I seemed to have figured out how to control pounce well enough to use it without slamming my face into a wall. That happened far more often than I'd like to admit. But now that I have the hang of it, jumping and dashing from building to building has never been so much fun. I feel alive.

As I finally arrive at the market, I walk up to one of the counters and greet Markus, as usual.

Maeve:
"Hey, Markus!"

Markus:
"Maeve! Glad to see you're doing well. It's been a while! Is Ethan cooking another soup dish?"

Maeve:
"No, it's a pot roast this time, but I still need the usual, along with some scallions."

Markus:
"Coming right up!"

He lays the ingredients that are stuffed in one of the bags on the counter and begins preparing them.

Markus:
"That'll be a hundred and twenty five coin."

I reach into my pocket and pull out a hand of small silver coins.

Maeve:
"Here you go."

I lay two of the silver coins on the desk.

Markus:
"Seventy-five will be your change."

I take up the seven large bronze coins from the pile and look back up at Markus with five small bronze still on the table.

Maeve:
"You can keep the change for the other customers Markus. Thank you!"

I begin to sprint off back to the house.

Markus:
"You stay safe now!"

Maeve:
"I will!"

After about a two hour walk around town, I arrive just outside of home. The sun is beginning to set, I spent a little too much time fooling around. Hopefully, Ethan won't scold me like he always does. I begin to walk towards the house greeting the few neighbors heading back inside their homes. As I approach the front yard, I see a young girl in an overhead cloak wave at me up the street. I wave back with a smile. They seem like they just finished seeing Ethan for something. He knows it's way past closing time, but it never matters to him, does it. I sigh and walk up the front patio, inserting the key, but to my surprise the door is already unlocked. I guess he forgot to lock it when they left. I shrug it off and enter the house.

Maeve:
"I'm home!"

There's no reply.

Maeve:
"Ethan?"

I set the bag down on the kitchen counter as I gaze around, trying to figure out where Ethan might've gone.

Maeve:
"Ethaaaan?"

Ethan said he wasn't going to leave, and he doesn't change his mind suddenly without telling me; that's not something he does. Something isn't right. I look around the silent room. I feel this uneasiness in my stomach. Where is he? Circling around to the back of the kitchen, I pick out one of the knives— better safe than sorry. I begin to head to the center of the living room right behind the back of the sofa.