Chapter 6: Gift

Perspective: Maeve

I didn't expect nursing to be this easy.
I think Ethan was a little surprised at how well I was doing, but after you learn a new language while learning how to read sheet music at the same time, memorizing seventy terms a week isn't that difficult. It's only been two months, but I'm already feeling pretty confident. He's taught me so much these past three years; I've come to enjoy it. It's nice.

I finish cleaning the emergency room shelves as I continue rambling on in my head. I look back at the white empty bed that lays in the center of the room. This room is hardly ever used. Ethan told me Arthur was the first emergency patient he's had in the past three years. Most patients who need immediate and high-end medical treatment go to the hospital, which is a couple blocks away. This place is cheaper for things like colds or sore throats, sometimes for a basic diagnosis. There is no need to go to a hospital for something like that.

I hear the front door unlock with a loud clatter. I begin taking off my scrubs as I listen to an idiot fumble inside with a briefcase so loudly it sounds like he's collapsing a large table.

Ethan:
"Guess who's hooome!"

I toss the scrubs in the laundry basket and venture out to greet him. He looks up at me and sets his briefcase to the side.

Ethan:
"I finished up a little early today, like I promised."

Maeve:
"And I said you didn't have to."

Ethan:
"It's your eighteenth birthday. It's a big day for you! I wouldn't want to miss this for the world."

I look at him in doubt.

Maeve:
"Really? You would rather see the world burn in flames?"

I watch him hang his white coat and look gaze at me with a frown.

Ethan:
"Oh quit with the sass, just let me have this."

Maeve:
"Fine, but before you do anything, there's something I want to show you first."

Ethan:
"What is it?"

Maeve:
"It's a present."

Ethan:
"A present for me? What could you have possibly gotten me that I would want? You don't have any money."

Maeve:
"Oh, it's something you'll want."

I smile at him and run off up the stairs.

Ethan:
"Did you steal it?!"

Maeve:
"Oh, shut up!"

I come back down with my violin and a bundle of sheet music. Taking a seat in front of the fireplace, I position myself firmly on the raised stone and allow Ethan to sit down in front of me on his three-seater sofa.

Ethan:
"This is a pretty nice gift. I haven't seen you play in forever. I thought you stopped practicing a long time ago."

Maeve:
"I wanted it to be a surprise, so I started practicing when you were not here."

Ethan:
"Ah, that explains it. Well, let's hear it. Play me something."

My heart begins to pound like a drum. I feel my hands begin to shake as I raise my bow.

Ethan:
"Maeve, calm down, stop shaking. I know you're thinking right now that you don't wanna mess up, but in the end, as long as you enjoy playing what you've practiced, my opinion doesn't matter. Clear your mind, breathe, and play."

I take a deep breath. Slowly setting my bow onto the string, I begin to play. What only lasted for possibly a minute or two, seemed to go on forever. Ethan sat there captivated by my performance. He seemed so happy for me, and proud. I punctuate and deliver every note as smoothly as I could, and I didn't miss a beat. When I finished, I felt ecstatic. I couldn't keep myself from smiling.