Chapter 17 (Charlotte)

"Thanks again for this," Kyle looked over at me as we parked behind Ms. Beverly's "You've thanked me a million times,"

 I laughed, "It's really no problem."He stared over at me from the passenger's seat his eyes low with his usual smirk that made my face burn and my stomach flip. I knew better than to let him know he was affecting me. I shook my head and rolled my eyes, "I'm really glad you're okay."He licked his lips, "Me too."

"Me too!" Auggie called out.

I laughed and then Kyle laughed and then went for the door handle. "Wait let me help."

"Char, you don't have to."I didn't let him finish, I went to the back seat pulled out his wheelchair, but by the time I came around, he stood on the outside of my car with his crutches. I cocked my head playfully scolding. His head fell as if he was pretending to be bashful but that smirk gave him away. 

"Sit down," I said. Kyle's eyebrow shot up, "Okay." He sat. 

I got Auggie out of his carseat and we walked in through the back door. "Is this you getting all maternal Florence Nightingale on me?"

I rolled my eyes, "Is this you being all tough and masculine not being able to accept help?"

"Says the woman that went out of her way to tell me to she didn't want to see me again because I was being too nice."

I rolled my eyes again, "I was protecting myself." We stopped in front of the stairs that lead to his room.

 "Maybe I'm trying to protect myself too," Kyle stood on his crutches eying me again deviously. 

I shook my head, "What you think you'll fall in love with me."

His lips curved into a bigger smile, "A guy's got to protect himself." He winked, "Pretty girls like you are dangerous." He said just before his good foot slipped off of the third step and he nearly toppled down the stairs. I threw my arms around him without thinking and before I knew it we stood on the last step and I had him pressed against the wall barely balancing mine and his weight on the foot that was in the floor. My other foot was on the bottom step. I laughed, "These stairs are dangerous for you."

"Are you two alright?" Ms. Beverly turned the corner. 

"Kyle is trying to kill himself on the stairs," I teased, "Do you have a handicapped entrance to the upper level?"

 I helped Kyle off of the stair. "No, I'm afraid," She put her fingertips over her mouth. 

"Is there a lower room available?" Kyle asked. 

Her eyes widened under her glasses, "I'm booked. I've already had a hard time saving your room."

I couldn't help but notice the concern and frustration that came over Kyle's features, "I'm sorry Ms. Beve. I know I've cost you enough with wrecking the car, I didn't think—"

"No dear," She coated her hands over Kyle's hand that wasn't in a sling, "I don't blame you. I'm just happy you're okay and that old car is insured."

I thought a moment and suddenly I had an idea, "He'll move in with me." I surprised myself when the words were out of my mouth. 

"What?!" Ms. Beverly and Kyle seemed to say it at the same time. 

"Yay!" Auggie jumped up and down as if I needed more of a confirmation for something that seemed to twist my gut in odd ways, "I mean Ms. Beve can have the large suite back, at least for the time being, I don't have to worry about this klutz falling down the stairs." I breathed feeling out of breath.

 "I couldn't," He started.

 "If everyone is okay with it." Said Ms. Beve, "I could use my largest suite again." She looked at Kyle sorrowfully, "I have taken a loss without it."

Kyle looked at Ms. Beverly and I could see the guilt in his eyes. 

"It's settled then," I spoke, "I'll load your things in the car and we'll go to my house." I could feel my conscience screaming at me in the worst way, but I knew it was what needed to be done. 

*                   *                       *

"Char, you really don't have to do this," Kyle finally when we pulled into my driveway, after a long drive. Auggie fell asleep in the back seat relatively early in the drive so the pregnant silence was getting deafening. 

"Well, I'm doing it."

"But you don't have to."

"So you would rather stay in Mateo's cabin in the woods."

"Yeah."

I looked at him expecting the smirk but his blue eyes were wide with seriousness and once again it hit me in the pit of my stomach. I shook my head, "No you don't."

His hand coated mine making my stomach twist more, "I don't want to be a burden on you, Charlotte."

"You're not," I smiled, "You're my friend."His eyes narrowed.

"You'd do the same for me. Right friend?"

His still looked at me suspiciously as he smirked and shook his head. I reached for the door handle, "I would you know." He said drawing my attention back to him. The seriousness read in his eyes again, "You and Auggie. If you two ever needed anything."

"Right now, I need you to have a comfortable place to heal," I said, "That car crash could have killed you, and I wouldn't have a chance to tell you, how much I appreciated what you did for us." I looked at Auggie and back at him. 

Kyle got out of the car, and I didn't bother getting the wheel chair since there was a door right in the garage that lead right into the kitchen. I took Auggie out, and put him in the bed. As I walked out I noticed Kyle in the living room standing in front of the couch. "So I take it this is where I'm sleeping?"

I laughed and pointed towards my room, "No you're in my room. I get the couch."

He laughed and then stopped, "You're joking."

I gave him a tense smile, "I'm not. There is no way you'll be able to sleep comfortably and heal on the couch." I said, "Plus, it has it's own private bathroom."

His eyes narrowed, "Charlotte, I'm not kicking you out of your bed."

I laughed, "I'm putting you in my bed," I thought, "And I'm taking the couch. It's not really a big deal."

Kyle let out a frustrated sounding sigh, "Charlotte, this is beyond generous."

I shrugged, "What are friends for?" 

Before Kyle could argue I went to my car and went for Kyle's suitcase. He only had one and I could appreciate that. I set up Kyle in the room, pushing the large bubble television set in the room in front of the bed. Kyle continued to protest, but there wasn't much he could do. That was probably why I was a little more comfortable with Kyle in my home. I didn't think Kyle would hurt me or Auggie, but I didn't want to let my guard down. At least sleeping in the living room, I could see Auggie's door, my door, and the front door. I was also a light sleeper and moved the gun in my car to under the sofa while I slept. If it came to that. I didn't think that it would, I hoped it didn't but I took comfort in being prepared. As I laid on the couch under the covers I drew in a deep breath before letting myself relax on the couch. This would be for just a few weeks until Kyle could heal and I knew he would leave like a thief in the night. Hopefully with none of my things with him.