Chapter 14 ("Kyle")

A bright light singed my eyes though the thin slits. I squinted, my own will fighting against my heavy eyelids. They wanted to close but I needed to see. As my eyes started to adjust there was still only white. The ragged pressure against my back, neck, and the back of my head told me I was lying down against an uneven surface, the aches that rolled through my body let me know I was still alive. Or was I?

I finally stretched my eyelids as far as I could and gave a few hard blinks. The white sky never changed but dark tree shapes started to fade into my vision. Was I seeing things?

Pushing my hands against the ground I pushed myself into the sitting position. I cradled my head as a sharp pain burned in my skull. I winced and groaned. Glancing around me, I noticed that I was in a wooded area, that's when memories flooded back and my stomach plummeted downward fast. I looked around for the car.

Shit. I stood up dusting off my the back of my pants. I barged into a direction. I needed to find Ms. Beverly's son's car. I remembered the crash. I remembered the impact, the loud clanking metal sound and not much else. I tapped the side of my head and observed my hand. No blood. I let out a breath of relief.

My boots crunched against the dead leaves and dirt as I wondered aimlessly. "Hello?" I finally called out. Unsure what else to do. I wasn't expected a forest ranger to come out and help me, and I didn't know if I would attract wrong attention like a hungry bear, but I didn't have any ideas. My chest burned as my heart beat against it. "Hello?" I called again.

I stopped and brushed my beanie cap off of head running my fingers through my mangled long hair. I heard another rustle of leaves that jerked my attention to a direction. I wondered if it was the wind, or a bear, or someone, anyone.

"Hello?"

I started cautiously into the direction of the sound. After a minute, I was sure it was the wind but I kept tracking. I heard it again, and started to walk faster, and sped up to the point where I was was running. The sound echoed against my footsteps. Well—it could have been my steps echoing, or someone else. I could have just been going crazy from dehydration.

I finally came to an large circular opening in the woods. I stood there breathlessly when I noticed a old rotting cabin right in front of me. I heard the rustling again and turned my attention two a boy. He couldn't have been more than ten. He had a bright red beanie cap on, and a large gray windbreaker jacket that was clearly too big for him. I tried to call out but I was still catching my breath. Then I noticed a smaller boy dart behind him. Both of them ran up onto the steps of the wide porch.

"I think we lost him," said the younger boy out of break, his nose and his cheeks bright red. He started to look familiar. They both did.

"Y-you weren't supposed to follow me." Said the taller boy, "Now we'll both be in trouble."

"W-we could stay. He won't find us." He had a slight lisp.

"What about mom?" The taller kid's eyes glassed up as he looked at the younger kid.

A moment past between the two boys before the older one said, "Fuck Mom. That's her boyfriend it doesn't mean we have to live with him anymore."

The little boy's eyes widened,"S—so we're not going back?"

"Hell no!" The older one yelled. "We're going to live out here on our own. No more stupid rules, no more Corey."

"No more beatings."

I noticed the older boy's tense expression at his younger brother's comment. "Fuck yeah, no more beatings."

I hot tear burned my eye as a tear blurred my vision and as soon as my vision got clear again, only a few seconds later, the boys were gone.