Chapter 5

A kind of short chapter but oh well :P

Chapter 5:

Dimitri:

My heart skipped a beat as the door opened, body tensing up waiting to see who it was. Luvena entered with a dreamy expression on  her face. I inwardly breathed a sigh of relief.

“What was that about?” Her sharp tone surprised me, she seemed “on cloud nine” (I got that from a book of American expressions my uncle gave me before we left Saint Petersburg) when she came in the room. 

“Well?” she snipped impatiently when I didn’t answer.

“You want to know what happened?” I said, my voice going cold. “He and everyone else in this school thinks I’m some sort of Soviet spy who drinks vodka for breakfast. And I’m tired of it. You know that some kids tried to get me to leave because I was from Russia? Windsor was with them and he did nothing. Absolutely, nothing. He just stood there and watched. Do you know what its like to have people hate you for no reason other than the fact you from another country?” Luvena was now quiet as was Aliyah, this was probably the most they’d ever hear me speak.

“I’m sorry you feel that way.” Luvena spoke after a while. Really? I just poured out all my inner frustration and she said I’m sorry you feel that way? Granted it probably wasn’t all Windsor’s fault, it probably wasn’t his fault at all. Aliyah’s small hand held onto my shoulder, oddly comforting me.

“It doesn’t mean its Windsors fault you know.” she said after a moment of glaring silence. I didn’t reply, knowing what she said was true.

“I’ll... Tell him I’m sorry or something tomorrow.” I said dryly.

Windsor:

I slid quietly back into the dorm room, closing the door softly behind me. “Hey, you like disappeared after that whole thing with Dimitri.” Achar stated dryly  staring at me from his desk. 

“Uh, yeah, I went after Luvena.” I replied, smirking. 

“I see.” He said with a sneer, looking back down at the work on his desk. We hadn’t even started classes yet he was already working ahead. I skidded over to my bed, snatching my phone of the bedside table and calling my mom.

“Names.” She smirked, fidgeting with an empty bottle. 

“Luvena, moving on.”  I laughed, thinking back on earlier today. I watched as my mom’s eyes pooled with confusion, as the flickered around the room I could tell she was analyzing me.

“Mom!” I shouted, smirking.

“WINNIE!” Jade squeaked, taking the phone. Her hair no longer in long ringlets, but cut down to chin length. Her face pale compared to the tan skin she’d had last year on the boardwalk, her smile stayed the same, always happy. 

“Hey Jade.” I smiled.

“Who’s Luvena?” She asked, cocking her head to the side. Mom had trained her well.  

“A girl.” I toyed, watching has her face turned red with anger.

“You never tell me anything!” She shouted, smiling though so I knew she wasn’t really mad. 

“What do you even want to know?” I sighed, rolling my eyes.

“Is she pretty?” She said rocking her head back and forth.

“Very.” I answered.

“Can’t you shut it about that girl for one second!” Achar shrieked. “Just shut up!”

“Excuse me.” I stood slowly. 

“Why do you even call them everyday? You can’t miss home that much!” He slammed his hands down on his desk. This was very different. He wasn’t as calm as I’d remembered him, its as if he pent up his anger and was finally letting it out.

“I’m sorry I want to see my little sister.” He muttered.

“What is she dying?!” I stared at him for a while, as my heart sank, I knew she could die but it had never settled in that much that she really could. 

I didn’t respond and went back to my phone. “Hey Jade, can you give the phone back to mom?” I frowned, causing her to frown too.

“Jay.” she muttered, handing the phone over.

“They’re postponing her surgery.” Mom said. “Something about not having enough of her blood type. We’ve gotta go now. Bye” 

The call ended so quickly I was left in a stated of confusing. 

“What does it matter, she doesn’t sound more than four, who’d miss her.” Achar stated dryly. “You can just make another one.”

I clenched my fists. “There will never be another Jade, there will never be a little girl as happy or as beautiful.” I walked over to him. “And girls like her can’t stay that way because of guys like you.” I punched him then, straight in the eye before walking back over to my bed. 

I’d go to the principal office tomorrow, I couldn’t stand to look at him let alone live with him for a year.

Aliyah: 

Luvena stared at me after Dimitri left for his dorm. “Why was he here?” she asked slowly. I just sat there, hoping I wouldn’t have to answer.

“Well?” she kept on questioning me like she had done with Dimitri.

“I was cleaning up his hands. They were bleeding.” I said as normally as possible, like I had overly tall Russian boys on my bed all the time. She raised a questioning eyebrow, but decided to leave it at that.

“Well goodnight.” was all she said as she walked to her side of the room. I fell in my bed, not bothering to change into my pajamas or brush my teeth. I tried not to think what tomorrow would be like.

Luvena:

I woke up the next morning, early as usual, slamming my feet on the ground and walking toward the bathroom. I took a quick shower and ran over to my closet, I pulled out a black polo shirt, one of my blue plaid skirts, and a navy sweater. I slid on knee high socks and sperrys, grabbing my bag, and running down the stairs.

I got into the lobby, glancing around and realizing how empty it was. No one was awake, and considering it was 6 in the morning I doubted anyone would be. I walked into the back area of the lobby, there was a cabinet with snacks, tea, coffee, and other things. I grabbed a peppermint tea bag, putting it in my travel mug and waiting for the water to boil. 

I walked back over to the cabinet once again, wondering if there was actually anything good in here, I looked up and found it, blueberry muffins. Reaching for the small container I realized it was impossible, I’d never reach them, on the ground this. 

Putting my feet on the side shelves, and pushing myself higher I tried to reach the muffins. It was just in reach as my fingers grazed it, the kettle screeched and I plummeted back down to the ground.

“You could just ask for help.” A voice stated from behind me. I spun around in shock, meeting eyes with Windsor’s roommate as he handed me the muffins. I stared at him questioningly for a while before snatching them from his hands. 

“Thanks.” I muttered trying to get around him, he wouldn’t move. “What happened to your eye?”

“Windsor punched me.” He mumbled, stepping further into the small pantry. 

“Oh,” I muttered, looking around awkwardly, once again trying to get around him. He placed a hand on the shelf behind me, smirking at me softly, his smile was sincere but his eyes were a whole other story. “Excuse me.” I whispered, trying to slip by him, he stepped in front of me. I managed to slide past him and back into the kitchen. 

I walked over to the sove, pouring the hot water into my travel mug. I pushed myself up onto the counter waiting for the tea to brew. Achar stood in front of me, staring, a chill ran down my spine and I looked away.