Chapter 3

Barry could feel the speed force coursing through him and now he was trying to figure out how he was going to reveal it to the others, right as he heard a familiar voice from behind him.

"Hey slugger." Jay said as he and Joan walked up to him.

"Hey Jay." Barry said with a smile as he hugged his uncle.

"Barry, it's so good to see you up and healthy." Joan said as she hugged him next.

"Thank you. Iris is on her way to." Barry said.

"How long until you can get out of here?" Jay asked.

"Not sure." Barry said.

"We just need to run a few more tests and he should be good to go by tonight." Dr. Wells said and Barry had to resist glaring at that man with all the hatred he felt at this moment. That monster had taken too many people from him already, even though most of them were still alive right now. He'd killed his mother when he was 11, he'd let his father go to prison for her murder, he'd killed Simon Stagg and Mason Bridges, Eddie and Ronnie had both sacrificed themselves because of him and he was the reason Barry had had to watch his daughter get erased from existence right in front of him. That last one had been the one that had finally convinced Barry that showing Thawne mercy was a mistake. When he got the chance again and he knew he would soon, he was going to do whatever he had to in order to get a confession out of Thawne before he showed him the same mercy he showed his mother.

However, all of Barry's anger faded when he heard someone else call his name.

"Barry." Iris said, getting his attention as he turned to see her enter the room.

"Iris." Barry said with a smile she rushed up to him and hugged him tightly.

"I was so scared I'd lost you." Iris cried and Barry smiled.

"I'm not going anywhere Iris." Barry said and Iris smiled tearfully as she leaned up and kissed him.

"I missed that." Iris said with a smile when they pulled apart.

"So did I." Barry said as Cisco coughed.

"Sorry to ruin the moment, but Barry, Caitlin is probably going to explode if you don't let her start her tests." Cisco said.

"Yeah, it's fine, I do feel kind of strange." Barry said as he moved to walk back over to the medbay, but instead, he 'accidentally' sped over there.

"What the hell was that?" Barry asked, even though he already knew, but what did surprise him was the looks on his aunt and uncle's faces.

"That appears to be a side effect of being struck by lightning and dark matter from a particle accelerator explosion at the same time." Wells said.

"Jay, you look like you've seen a ghost." Iris noted.

"I know exactly what this is." Jay said.

"Wait, what?" Barry asked as Wells or Thawne also looked at him curiously.

"Barry has gained a connection the speed force." Jay said.

"And what exactly is the speed force? Cool name though." Cisco said.

"The speed force is a realm of endless time and energy. It's an essential part of the universe and it's also the source of speedster's powers." Jay said.

"What is a speedster?" Iris asked.

"It's a person who can move at speeds faster than humanly possible." Jay said.

"And how do you know that?" Barry asked, wondering if it was possible.

"Well because." Jay said as he held up his hand and vibrated it at super human speed.

"You're a speedster to." Barry asked.

"Yep. In fact, I think Wells at least might've heard of me." Jay said.

"I heard rumors of a mysterious scarlet blur saving people 2 decades ago, but I honestly thought it was either a hoax or an alien." Thawne said.

"The Blur. Seriously, that is the nickname you came up with?" Cisco asked.

"You know about that? It was before your time kid." Jay said.

"I'm a huge superhero nerd, I've read every rumor that existed about real life superheroes." Cisco said and Jay nodded in understanding.

"So why'd you quit?" Barry asked.

"Because of what happened to your parents Barry. I spent years searching Central City for any trace of that man in yellow, but I couldn't. I failed to save your mother and I failed to stop my brother being locked up for a crime he didn't commit. And I wasn't exactly in my prime anymore. My body couldn't move like it used to, so I retired. Central City didn't need the Blur." Jay said as Joan placed her hand on Jay's shoulder.

"But you've spent years studying the speed force, so you can teach Barry how to control it." Joan said and Barry nodded.

"I can finish what you started. I can find the man who killed my mother." Barry said.

"I'm not sure that's wise." Thawne said.

"Well I don't recall asking you." Barry said.

"I think that Barry can do a lot more with this gift than just find his mother's killer." Iris said.

"Really, how so?" Joan asked.

"According to my dad, over the past few months, the CCPD has begun getting calls of people committing crimes with impossible powers." Iris said.

"Aliens?" Barry asked, even though he knew better.

"That's what I thought at first, but after doing some digging, I found that all these people had been born human and the first report came in 12 hours after the particle accelerator explosion." Iris said.

"You think that the accelerator explosion created these metahumans?" Wells asked, since the world had seen the birth of a few people with powers to try and beat Superman, but until now, they weren't a common occurrence.

"I do." Iris said.

"I can stop them. But I'll need help." Barry said.

"Need a tech genius?" Cisco asked.

"Are you serious?" Caitlin asked.

"Come on, being part of a superhero crime fighting team is a lifelong dream of mine." Cisco said and Barry chuckled.

"Besides, it sounds like we created these meta criminals. It's only right we help stop them." Cisco added.

"I'm in. Since I'm studying to be a reporter, I can get information to help." Iris said.

"Joan and I are already well versed in speedster biology, so I can train Barry and she can help advise him." Jay said and Joan nodded her agreement.

"I guess it would be nice to actually be able to help this city again and I'm sure Barry will end up needing a real doctor who knows identity." Caitlin admitted and Barry smiled at her gratefully.

"Well, I can see I'm outvoted here and I suppose Cisco is right. I do have a duty to this city to help fix what I created. You can even use this building as your base." Wells said reluctantly, though Barry knew it was an act. This was exactly what Thawne had wanted, though maybe a slightly different team lineup.

"Okay then. Let's get started." Barry said.