chapter 3

I froze. I wasn't used to being called 'cute'. In fact over my past high school life, I was used to being called the opposite of it. I kept staring at him. He must have noticed my reaction as he tried to snap me out of my daze. "I'm sorry! Uh-" I came back to reality.

"Y/n. That's my name."

"Sorry, y/n. I- I didn't mean to startle you. I'm... not the best with words. I ...always make more sense with my guitar." he sighed.

"No, it's okay! I just... no one has ever called me that before." I said. He looked surprised.

"I've never seen you before, y/n. You must be new here. Welcome, I'm Luka. Luka Couffaine." he recited as he reached out his hand for me to shake it. I accepted his polite action, shaking his hand. "Can I see your schedule? We might be in the same class, if you're my age that is,  you look like you ar-"

"I'm 16." I interrupted. 

"Oh, great! Me too. Can you show me your schedule now?"

"Oh, of course." I replied as I handed it to him. I hadn't taken a proper look at it myself, since you know, I crashed into Luka as soon as I left the Principal's Office, but I figured he'd have more interest in reading it since he actually knew all the teachers and classes. He smiled when he read it. "You're in most of the same classes as me. Maths, English, Science, I.T and... Music. Do you play an instrument?"

"Oh, y-yeah," I stuttered, nervous to tell someone about the instrument I played. "I play the piano. Or keyboard, whatever you want to call it. I'm not that good, erm... I only started a year and a half ago."

"I bet you're awesome! You have to play for me sometime." he gushed.

I responded, flattered. "Thanks, but if you ever want to see me play you'll have to play that guitar of yours for me sometime!"

"Challenge accepted. Anyways, we should get to your first class now! You have English with Miss Judièr first, and since I have it with you, I'll walk you there. Come with me!" Luka offers.

"Alright, Couffaine Boy. Lead the way!" I smirked. He laughed at this new nickname I had given him. I followed him to Miss Judièr's class, but I was stopped from sitting down by the teacher. I bet she wanted me to introduce myself. Oh no...

The bell rang, signalling that everyone was meant to be in class now. 

There was a loud buzz of chatter in the classroom, until the teacher brought her index finger to her mouth and said "Shhhh. Quieten down class." and waited for everyone to be silent. Once they were, she spoke up again. "Good morning students. It seems that today we have a new peer joining us. Would you like to introduce yourself?"

I didn't want to introduce myself. I just wanted to sit down and avoid any contact with all of these possible tormentors. But it felt like a rhetorical question, so I just nodded my head and quietly spoke. "Hi, I'm y/n l/n, and I'm new here. I moved here from America." I made a fake smile. One of the girls in the front row opened her mouth. "America? That's so cool!". I smiled at her comment. "Thank you, y/n." the teacher greeted. "Is there anyone you know yet? Or would you like me to assign you a seat?" she questioned.

"Oh, I met Luka earlier, I'd like to sit with him, if that's alright." I said to her awkwardly, knowing there was an empty seat next to him. The teacher nodded. "Of course, head on up." she accepted, and I walked up to the second last row, where Luka was sitting at the seat next to the windows. "Hello again." I whispered cheekily. He chuckled, not responding as we both turned to focus on the teacher.

Time skip to after school!

The bell rang, signalling the end of Period 6, Science, as well as the end of the school day. I walked out of the class, talking to Luka. We were already good friends, as if I'd been his friend our whole lives. We talked repeatedly over the day and I met his friends during classes, and his sister and her friends from the grade below at lunch.