Chapter 17

“Rïsa.”

   The book lay inanimate on the table.

   The King sighed and reclined in his chair. “Try again.”

   Murtagh did try, and it was infuriating. Everything that he had wanted to do in the past had more or less come easily to him. Sword fighting, hunting, horseback riding. He found if he tried hard enough, he could master it. Except magic.

   “Rïsa!” He growled with ferocity. The book trembled slightly and returned to its motionless state. His lips twitched in triumph. It had taken a few hours, but he was beginning to get results.

   “It’s a start, but not good enough. I want it in the air. Try again.”

*          *          *

   By the time Murtagh retired to his chambers he was exhausted. The book had trembled often, but it wasn’t until he finally managed to lift it a couple centimetres off the table that the King called it a day. He shut the door behind him and examined the room.

   The window was dark behind the curtains, the only light in the room came from the flameless lanterns mounted into the walls. A glimpse of red caught his attention and he looked to see Thorn stick his head out from under the bed.

   You’ve grown. Murtagh said as he flopped onto the bed. He was surprised by how quickly the hatchling was developing, he had grown half his size since he hatched. It wasn’t a surprise that he was growing quickly, but Murtagh suspected it was too quick, that maybe Galbatorix was interfering so that he would be big enough to fight Saphira as soon as possible.

   Thorn projected prideful—if not slightly confused—emotions about his growth as he jumped up beside him on the bed. The dragon crawled onto his stomach and rested his head on his chest. Murtagh winced as the talons dug into his flesh, but reached out and stroked Thorns side affectionately.

   He expected Thorn to struggle with his accelerated growth, but the creature held himself well, with only an occasional stumble. Thorn had been in his chambers all day, as he was still too young to train, or communicate. Murtagh looked forward to the breaks in his day when he could visit and feed Thorn, and at night when the dragon curled up beside him on the bed, despite having a monstrously sized depression in the floor lined with soft blankets for him to sleep.

   Murtagh reached for a pillow, so exhausted that he was willingly to sleep sideways while fully dressed, and coped a handful of feathers. Taken aback he looked to see the pillow he had reached for had been ripped open in the middle, the material covered in small tears.

   “Thorn!” He scolded and sat up, causing Thorn to jump off him in confusion. He gave the pillow a once over but decided it was beyond repair. Gathering the feathers he pushed them back into ruined material and stuffed it under the bed, guessing he could fix it later depending on what he learnt in his magic lessons.

   Thorn sat on the edge of the bed, his head bent low, knowing from the scolding and from Murtagh’s emotions over their bond that he was in trouble. Seeing him submissive caused a pang of guilt, Murtagh knew that he shouldn’t be locked up in their bed chambers all day, but there was nowhere else for him to go.

   A knock stole Murtagh’s attention and he watched as a servant entered the bedchambers holding two trays. He placed them on the bedside table and left. Murtagh passed over the tray with a pie, cheese and vegetables for the tray with a dome. He lifted it from table and placed it on his lap and wondered why Thorns tray had a cover. He found out when he removed it.

   Two dozen mice squeaked and ran in all directions. Murtagh shouted in surprise and pushed the tray from his lap where it clattered on the floor. He cursed it as a trick before he saw Thorn. The young dragon moved quicker than he had seen before. He leapt from the bed, wings tucked close and crashed on top of a mouse. He snapped at the creatures head and tore it off with one sharp tug. Murtagh heard the skull crunch twice then Thorn swallowed and moved onto the body. Once done he looked around the room, there were plenty of mice but they had quickly hidden, though Thorn had plenty of time. Murtagh sighed at the bloody mess the dragon had left and reached for his own tray. At least now Thorn wouldn’t be bored.