Chapter 23

Urû'baen was a mere light on the horizon when the bag behind her began to shift. Lorena pulled on the reigns to slow the stallion, then tethered him for a well deserved rest. Unlatching the canvas bag she wrestled with it so the creature inside wouldn't cause himself to fall from her grip, then laid it on the grass. She fumbled with the clasps and pulled them open, then a red head poked out.

Thorn looked around, then rested his eyes on her.

"Greetings, Thorn."

The creature cocked his head, then a presence pressed against her consciousness, tedious and defensive. Murtagh?

He's not here yet, Lorena tried to reassure him, he'll come soon. We need to go that way. She pointed in the opposite direction of Urû'baen.

The dragon changed glances from the lights, to where Lorena pointed, to Lorena herself as she went to the saddle bags and riffled through them.

"Where is that blasted map!" She swore spilling the contents. A rolled up piece of leather hit the ground and Lorena opened it to reveal what she had been looking for. It was far more detailed than the one they had used during her travels with Murtagh and Eragon, with beautiful illustrations. She strained her eyes in the moonlight, and was able to see where she currently was.

"Here's Uru'baen," Lorena claimed, pointing at the Capital on the map, as if Thorn understood her, "and here's... Farthen Dûr, if I remember correctly. It's not marked on this map."

Clucking her tongue she examined the distance.

"It's far, but we did it from Gil'ead before... here. That was much further. We wouldn't have to cut through as much desert this time." She stood and rummaged through her saddle bags, finding dried meat, wrapped cheese, and loafs of bread. "We have food, plus we can hunt, but what about water.

"Last time Eragon used magic to produce water. I don't believe it matters that we are going across a smaller section, we will still need it desperately." Crouching she ran her fingers along the map. "We may be able to go around... no. It's much too big a distance. We're basically going to have to skirt the border to Surda..."

She gasped in realisation, and looked to Thorn.

"Surda! It'll take too long to get to Farthen Dûr, but Surda? That's doable! We'll make our way to Cithri. It's the closest, and Surda is openly opposed to the Empire. They even trade with the Varden. Ha! That's it!"

She rolled the map back up and slipped it into the saddle bags.

"I don't know how long we have until Galbatorix realises we're gone and tries to track us down. But when he does he'll probably try to scry us. We need to stay out of the towns, and off the roads. We can't go anywhere that can be easily identified." Lorena looked out over the fields. "I remember watching Eragon practicing scrying once... but I can't recall if you can hear anything. We'll have to stay away from large bodies of water, just in case." She slapped her hand over her mouth. And I probably shouldn't be speaking.

* * *

The halls were quiet, and Murtagh was relieved not to bump into anyone on his way back to his bedchambers. He closed the door with a soft click and rested his head against the hard wood. Watching them ride out of the gate, into a land potentially just as dangerous without him to protect them was one of the hardest things he'd ever done.

"I'll join them soon," he told himself, "I will find a way."

He moved to the bed and kicked off his shoes before shrugging off his shirt and tunic. Leaving his trousers he threw back to covers climbed in. He didn't know how long he'd have before Galbatorix found out, and if he was going to be dragged out of bed sometime during the night he wanted to be at least somewhat decent. Staring up at the ceiling Murtagh tried not to think about the fact that they were gone, nor what he'd probably be going through tomorrow. Nor the fact that he had never felt so alone.

* * *

Murtagh sat in a small study, in the west library, in Urû'baen. A yellowed scroll rolled out in front of him, the parchment curled up at the edges, with contents describing the use of terrible magic. But his mind was somewhere else.

No one had burst into his room during the night or dragged him into the throne room before the king that morning. Instead he had woken himself, and deeply missing the mental contact of his companion, dressed and made his way to his magic lessons as normal. Murtagh had prepared himself for the worst when Galbatorix had greeted him there, but the older man didn't say a word.

Looking back at the scroll Murtagh tried to concentrate on the texts. He knew that Galbatorix had noticed Lorenas' disappearance, there was no way he had not, and his decision to remain quiet about it worried him. Murtagh tried to ignore the images rushing through his mind of Lorena being attacked by urgals, Thorn falling victim to a farmers arrow, and the other mishaps that could befall them without him there to protect them. He wiped his hands on his trousers, finding them sweaty from intense worry, and glanced at the king.

Galbatorixs' hard eyes were watching him causing Murtagh freeze, his usual collect composure lost in his fears. His onyx eyes narrowed, "I believe it's time that I gave Thorn another visit."

Knowing that there could be no reason nor lie that he could spin to convince him otherwise Murtagh simply nodded.

* * *

When they arrived at his chambers Murtagh opened the door and stood aside to allow the king to enter. He watched as Galbatorix surveyed the room, and his features turned cold. His black gaze shifted to his grey one, then the kings' lip lifted in a snarl. "Where are they?"

Murtagh lifted his chin in pure defiance, and smiled.