Chapter Six - Rameen

I left immediately after the meeting. I told Jackie I was meeting Papa – I lied…sort of.  But I couldn’t stay in the same room as Hunter.  He’d never taken his eyes off me the whole time I was there – when I didn’t catch him staring, I could feel him.  And when I did catch him he just grinned at me.  Grinned!  It took all my willpower not to giggle like a ridiculous girl – like the woman next to him.  Probably like the majority of women who surrounded Hunter. 

I caught Jackie looking at me as Tom went over budgets.  She’d noticed.  I rolled my eyes and did my best to ignore the tension he created.  There was no doubt about it he exuded charm, a presence that could not be ignored.  And yet, here, in this room with these people, he didn’t seem to play to it.  It was obvious that Foster Foundation was important to him.  Even though he appeared distracted by the attention he was paying me, he never missed a beat, asking questions, requesting information and giving well-informed constructive feedback at appropriate times throughout the meeting.  His interest in helping our women gain their independence with the napkin-making machine surprised me; he was both supportive and knowledgeable.

Why he was showing an avid interest in me was beyond my comprehension.  Yes, he was a handsome man. But was also a man who could have and did have any woman in the world, who dated Victoria Secret models and movies stars…even a princess.  And why he thought being arm-candy appealed to me goodness knows.  My work was too important, and that included my reputation, both professionally and privately – they went hand-in-hand.  And being with Hunter James would thrust me into the limelight, jeopardizing my work and my patients’ privacy.  No man, not even Hunter James, was worth that.

I called for the lift and waited.  There was a lot of activity around the reception area as office staff moved from one section to another, muffling any other footsteps.  Yet I knew he was heading towards me.  And I felt him before he spoke.  A shiver ran down my spine and tingled across my body as if he was caressing me with his eyes. 

“Rameen.  Wait.”  He called.  He hadn’t shouted but his voiced carried well.

I pressed the button again – why people did that, thinking it would hurry the lift up, I hadn’t a clue.

“Rameen.”  He was right behind me now.

“Oh, Hello Mr. James.”  I turned slightly and smiled sweetly (well, hoped it was sweetly).

The lift door opened.

“Sorry, I’m in a hurry.  Thank-you for your support in the meeting today.”  I quickly boarded the lift and pressed the button for the ground floor.

As the doors closed, Hunter jumped in.  Shit.

“You’re very welcome.  I’m looking forward to seeing the results of the research.  I’d like to take you to lunch.”

“No, thank-you Mr. James –”

“Hunter.”

“No thank-you.”

“We could discuss your project in more detail.  There’s an amazing Italian restaurant round the corner.”