Chapter Four - Rameen

“Thank-you so much.  You’re a life-saver.”  I squeezed water out of my hair and then gently placed the now defunct plait down my back.  My beautiful wool cardigan was soaking wet too.  It had lapped up the raindrops like a sponge and now hung like a dishrag.

“Hunter James.”  He thrust his hand out.

I couldn’t help chuckling. “Yes, I know.  Rameen Rashed.”  Politely, I reached out and pumped a firm shake before letting go.

He took a step closer to me.

“Of course you do.”  His smile beamed back at my comment and he shook his head a little, giving a chuckle as he did.  “And you’re British I presume.”

“Yes, yes I am. A little obvious.”  I laughed again and took a step back.

“Yes, yes it is.”

“Thank-you for not saying ‘oooh, I like your accent.’”

“I imagine you’ve had that a lot.”

“Just a bit.”

That set us both off laughing in full.  It felt good to laugh.  And so perfectly normal.  I may never have met Hunter in person before, but I could never consider him a new acquaintance.

It was a lovely feeling being with him.  He seemed like a genuinely nice person, especially helping me out like that.  But then, I’d been used to people helping others having lived and worked in a community that prided itself on becoming self-sufficient. 

But enough of that. I was cold which put a very quick damper on the moment.

Before I knew it my teeth were chattering even more and my whole body felt wracked with the shivers.  This cold feeling was brutal and felt as if it were seeping right through to my bones.

He took another step towards me again.

“Thank-you…again…but I need to be going...I must dry off…I am so cold.” While rubbing my arms up and down the sleeves of my cardigan, I took another step away from him and made a quick scan of the foyer and noticed a sign for the ladies and began to move in that direction.  “Good-bye,” I quipped over my shoulder with a smile and dashed across the marble floor to the heavy oak door with the standard picture denoting a female. 

I knew first impressions weren’t everything but I couldn’t help believing that I’d just witnessed the real Hunter James.  Not that it made any difference.