5) Inheritance

By the by, I dedicate my chapters to those who do writing competitions with meh. So that should tell you who's been doing them with me.

Fast update, make sure you read the previous chapter.

That was a mistake.

His eyes sealed shut as the light from the cabinet was magnified to the brightness of the suns. His eyes were fried, and he would have been blinded had he not been Earthborn. as it was, he could still see the brilliant blue glow with his eyelids shut, making him wonder if they had been destroyed by whatever unnatural light the tool was giving off.

There was a strange suction sound, like an airlock being opened, and The light vanished. Nathan opened his eyes, blinking rapidly as to clear them from spots. He finally managed to see at the very least outlines and shaddows, which meant that his eyes were still intact.

It took a few minutes for Nathan to completely regain his vision, and it was a major relief to him. It was also something that made him wary.

What the heck is it that it can almost incapacitate me with just its light?

That question was quickly answered. It turned out that the mighty tool, the incredibly powerful weapon, was a slender hickory staff. It was long and gritty, with a natural edge to it. Strange symbols were etched deeply into its side, and they were glowing with the same pale blue light as before.

Nathan reached his hand out for the weapon, wondering if he was even able to touch it without sever damage done to him. Mother Tree said it was safe to hold, but he still had major doubts.

Go on, Nathanial Arret. It will not harm you further. It will simply obey your commands. But be careful.

"W-why should I be careful if it is safe to touch?"

Because, Nathanial Arret, its abilities have an addicting quality. Once you use it in its intended way, not in conjunction with my essence but in its raw form, it can make its master rather tenacious.

"Power corrupts. Is that what you're saying, then?"

Indeed, Nathanial Arret. Power does corrupt. Your mother is spared, for she has never used it outside of the ritual. You, however, do not have that option.
Nathan touched its shaft, then gripped it. This too felt like it was made for his hands, just as the sheres upstairs did. It was warm, and buzzed with an energy that made him wonder if in reality this tool was alive.

It has taken on the form of a staff, reflecting its texture off of my own body. That is why you feel that it was made for you - it conformed to you, its new master.

Nathan grinned, pulling the heavy staff out of the cupboard. He stood it up, and was astonished to find it was nearly as tall as he was, just hitting six feet tall. The symbols grew brighter, as if recognizing his confusion.

"Mother Tree. How, exactly, does Mother use this staff to reverse something?"

She has only ever used it twice, and only after great consideration. To her, it takes the form of a crystallized orb, much like the infections you loosed. It does not break down; it merely releases its energy, which travel through my Roots. It is as old as I am. It is one of the four Equalizers - the other three being for Arcana, Heightened, and Espers.

"What is this one for, then? How does it look when it is without a master?" He inquired, now curious.

I would show it to you, the form it takes when it is left alone in its cabinet. When it is untied. Alas, you do not have enough brain capacity for it. If I show it to you, your mind would break.