Chapter Sixteen: Love in Manhattan

I impatiently tapped the white eraser of my lead pencil against the square oak school desk in front of me. A pair of blonde haired girls, sitting in the front of my English 11 class, whispered and giggled to each other as our teacher ranted about the deeper meaning of colors in the Great Gatsby.

Their blonde curls bounced every time their bodies exasperated laughter, making my headache in annoyance.

Wanting the pain to stop, I picked up my phone and text Lauren, who conveniently sat right behind one of them, and told her to shut them up.

Within seconds after I sent my text, I heard Lauren whisper to the girls: "Chelsea would like it if you two would zip it."

The pair of blondes turned around and eyed me with their glimmer filled blue pupils, then one turned to the other and whispered: "Told you."

They both suppressed another wave of laughter and turned around without another look back.

What the fuck? Did these girls just laugh at me? Someone is going to have to explain, or these pair of blondes just might get to see summer break.

-------

"What the hell happened back there?" I questioned Lauren as we walked out of English. The blonde bimbos were nowhere in sight.

Lauren's face became plastered with a confused facade before replying: "What do you mean?"

I grabbed her elbow, stopping her from walking off, automatically I felt the eyes of a thousand devils upon us.

"Why did those two bimbos snicker after you told them to shut up?" I asked, being precise. I didn't have time for games; if there were rumors being spread behind my back, I wanted to know.

Lauren's eyes scanned the many faces watching us, before whispering: "Some people think you're only with Logan because you're desperate for attention."

I released my grip on Lauren and straighten out her school jacket.

"Get Madeline and Caroline, we need to have a little conversation," I said, sweetly. Completely hiding the enraged emotions I felt at the moment.

Confused, but obedient, Lauren nodded and headed off towards the science section of Manhattan Prep. Curious students whispered amongst each other as I headed in the opposite direction, towards the math section, where I knew Logan had just taken Abstract Algebra.

My eyes admired how the white wood covering the walls of Manhattan Prep and the oak pillars collided perfectly against the black marbled floor. Millions of dollars were donated every year for school renovations, and this year Manhattan Prep renovated its interior design.

Walking by the staircase leading towards the Astronomy classrooms, I spotted Ethan laughing along with Dylan Russell. Dylan was notoriously known for providing other students in Manhattan Prep with marijuana, and there was no doubt in my mind Ethan was hanging out with him because he had returned to his old ways.

Too busy worried about Ethan's well being, I became oblivious to my surroundings and walked into a solid object.

Whatever I had walked into saved me from falling backwards, and as my mind caught up with my surroundings a familiar voice rang: "We should watch where we're walking, Miss Young."

My head snapped in the direction it had came from. Justin stood in front of me, looking like a model in his tightly fitted black Bottega Veneta suit and holding a brown leather briefcase in his left hand.

"What are you doing here?" I hissed, looking for Logan amongst the crowd. Girls eyed Justin and I, whispered and shook their heads in disapproval. Great, now people will start rumors that I've also started a fling with New York City's playboy of the year.