Chapter 1

My eyes shot open. I haven’t had that dream in a while. It was usually something along the lines of unbelieveable torture but  when they occasionally showed me that the guilt was heavy on my chest.

I was in a white room, a wooden nightstand to the right with a lamp and a radio which had the news on and my bed was creaky. I wasn’t under the sheets so the bed was still made. The room only had one window and I could hear faint New York traffic. I was in a white t-shirt and some khakis. The shirt had an eagle sign on it. Everything seemed fine, except for the fact that I was alive. And I knew damn well I should be dead right now. What the hell are they playing at? And who?

I was just sitting on the edge of my bed, processing this when the door opened. A man with dark, nicely kept hair and dark eyes, in a suit entered the room. I immediately looked up at him.

“Hello Demetra, I am Phil Coulson, you can call me Phil.” He said and closed the door. I stood up.

“Who are you?” I asked him, moving to stand directly in front of him.

“Didn’t I just tell you? My name is Phil.”

I slammed him against the wall, my hand on his throat. I put a little flame in my eye so I could tell him I wasn’t kidding around. Hey, I never kid around. World class assassins/spies just don’t do that.

“Okay, I understand that you might be confused but please just calm down-“

“Calm down? I am calm." Okay so maybe I don’t sound so calm. “Listen, Phil, I don’t know what you are trying to pull here but I think I’ll play along. So where exactly am I?”

“You are in a recovery room in New York,” he stated, looking me straight in the eyes. That was his biggest mistake. Sure, he might have tried to seem not scared but I saw it in his eyes. I also saw something that made me know that he was lying. I could always tell when people lied.

“Wrong.” I said and my grip around his neck tightened. “Listen, I’m supposed to be dead right now so cut the act and tell me how exactly I’m alive.

I sensed something slip out of his coat pocket. I looked down and saw a button being pressed. Oh shit.

I released Coulson and went for the door. Locked. I pushed against it hard, not even with all I had, and it went right down. I started to run out of the room but then noticed that I was surrounded by guys with guns. I smiled to myself. These guys must not know who I was. This was going to be fun.

“Don’t move and we won’t shoot. Make any signs of movement and we will be forced to shoot you,” one of the armored guys said, trying to sound all confident. I knew he would sound that way to the other men but I had excellent hearing and had training like no other. I knew he was scared.

In a hallway behind the wall of men, I could faintly see some metal doors opening to let a small group of people out from a tiny room. I saw my escape. I ran towards the doors, ignoring the gunshots being rapidly fired at me. I reached the doors right before they closed and slipped inside. Thank goodness, I was alone in this thing. Wait, what was this thing? I had no idea and became puzzled. I began to review what happened in the last five minutes. I woke up in a strange place then busted out of it and saw some things that defiantly did not belong in 1953. Where the hell was I?

The doors actually startled me when I heard them ping. The doors pulled back to reveal a very angry Coulson and some guards with guns.

“Don’t mo-“ Coulson started but I had other ideas than being captured. I pushed into them and as I expected they grabbed me but I quickly heated up and they let go quickly, nursing their burnt hands. I ran away from them, to the end of the room. The room was very big and spacious. I figured this must’ve been the top floor since a glass dome completed the roof very high up. There were cubicles scattered across the room and I ran down the lane of one, Coulson and his group a few feet behind me. I reached the end of the lane, now at the wall which was completely made of glass and blended into the ceiling. I quickly traced a white hot finger against it in a circle, pushed against it, and it easily gave way. I looked back once and saw Coulson with a worried look on his face.