Chapter 2

After Cosette got a cozy night sleep, her alarm went off for school. Even with her groans of protest, she heaved herself up and pressed the off button. It's booming noise ceased, as she smiled in triumph. Now I just have to endure seven to eight hours of torture, Cosette says to herself.

"Cosette are you up?" Her father called from outside the door. He must've heard the alarm, Cosette thought, and then opened the door. Her father wore a pair of spongebob boxers that didn't go very far along his thigh. Cosette looked down at her fuzzy Pajama pants that had hearts scattered around them. Then up to her hot pink tank top, and suddenly back to her father. He barely had his eyes open so you can easily tell he had just been roused from his sleep.

"Yeah I'm up." She says and closes the door. It makes no sound as it clamps shut. Once she picked out her outfit she took one last look at the yellow T-shirt and Bejeweled jeans. Maybe this year will be different, Cosette says to herself. She knew that it probably wouldn't be, but she might as well try. There's no sense in giving up if you have already lost more time than the goal would save. You just keep trying.

•____•____•____•____•____•____•____•____•_

Demetria looked back at the clock hanging on the wall. She knew that the summer wouldn't last. For two months she didn't feel as though she wasn't worth anything. Instead her parents made her feel like she meant more than the world itself. Now, well in 15 minutes, she will feel the same pain she's been experiencing ever since she cried that one day someone called her a rude name.

Demetria ate her last bit of pancake and looked towards her younger sister, Angelina Tyler. Angelina is frail, sickly, and has quite a temper most days. Her fiery red hair, and eyes that vary in color differ from Demetria's black layers and blue eyes. The two sisters are nothing alike. Angelina is only at the age of 12, while Demetria is a budding 14. Which isn't much better compared to all the lucky people who are seniors as of this year.

"C'mon Snow White! We need to get going." Demetria says to her little sister gesturing towards the door. Snow White was the nickname given to Angelina when she realized that tanning is practically impossible for her. Demetria's phone buzzed and she ignored it. She didn't want to be bothered with Kimberley's affairs today. Kimberley is her one and only friend, because she's immune to Stephanie Mitchell's snarky comments. Especially about Demetria's weight.

***School Time***

The car stopped and Demetria slowly got out to face her impending doom. Sophia Mitchell stood right in the middle of the courtyard. Her sparkling green eyes and thick blonde hair make Demetria jealous. She wouldn't admit that to anyone though.

^____^____^____^____^____^____^____^

Cosette looked at her father one last time before letting a tear cascade down her cheek. He didn't seem the least bit sympathetic at her sobs. Instead he remained nonchalant. It's easier to stay emotionless.

"Now Cosette I've told you what your punishment is al-" He began, but Cosette lost control.

"No! You're being quite unfair, not to mention mean!" Cosette yelled, and her father's face grew bright red. Veins ever-so slightly popped out of his head.

"Now you listen here young lady! I feed you, I put a roof above your head, I put clothes on your back! You will not interrupt me! Understood?" Her father yelled. His voice made her cower back, wanting to clamp her ears shut to block the sound out. Tears fell down her cheek faster than they ever have before. She wanted to run, but he would just yell more.

"Yes." She said, barely managing to keep a straight voice, in between sobs. Eventually, he began glaring her way and she stopped immediately. Truthfully, she's terrified of her father.

"Okay," he began, "now grab your school bag dry your tears and let's go." He said, about halfway he had lowered his voice back to normal. Cosette wiped away her tears, grabbed her black backpack, and followed her dad out the door.

~__•__~__•__School Time_~__•__~__•__~

Cosette traveled to the area where her locker sat. She sighed in relief as it opened on the first try. Maybe this year won't be so bad... Cosette thought. Her eyes widened at the realization that a fat, booger infested kid has a locker adjacent to hers. My life isn't getting any better... Cosette said to herself and unpacked her excess stuff before the crucial items. Her father had given her that tip before she had left for school.

"So, I'm Dylan. What's your name?" He said, holding out his greasy arm for Cosette to shake. There's nothing on this earth that could make her want to shake that hand. It's just too revolting. The way his chubby fingers are shiny and look as though he had just eaten a pound of salty fries. Cosette couldn't think of something that she wouldn't rather be doing.

"I'm Cosette. Wonderful to meet you. Sadly, I must get to homeroom." Cosette says, rishing off, leaving greasy boy alone. I'm really hoping I don't have any classes with him, Cosette said quiey to herself. She picked out her pink pencil and walked in to Ms.Delong's classroom. If Cosette hadn't of just move here she would have friends, but sinve she did, she doesn't. Therefore she is nervous to the point of no return. Ms.Delong gave a small smile to her as she sat down. Most teachers love her until they realize she loves to talk. Then they begin to abhor having her in their class. Cosette knows it's only a matter of time.

"I will now call role." The teacher said as the bell rang. Kids groaned and turned around in their seats. The teacher looked up and called three names. All three raised their hands. This went on until the end of the list. Nobody happened to be absent. Which is quite surprising for the first day of school. Usually there's one kid who is still on vacation.

********************

Classes came and went, eventually lunch arrived. Cosette's sack lunch proved to be a burden as I dug it out of her backpack. Jelly had splattered all over it's zip-lock bag. The spoon had been broken and only the top remained. Even the capri sun had lost it's straw.

"Wow. What happened to your lunch?" Asked a girl from behind Cosette. Her blue eyes met Cosette's grey orbs. Her purple glasses and bright smile welcomed Cosette. She seems quite friendly, Cosette thinks.

"I think my locker had a disagreement with it." Cosette says, trying not to burst out laughing at her lame joke. Demetria, the blue-eyed girl standing behimd Cosette, chuckled. She had never met a person with jokes that would be considered lame in anybody's book, but hers. Sophia Mitchell could make "jokes" that are so idiotic that only the dumb people remember to laugh.

"Well that sounds fun. I'm certain I have enough lunch for the both of us. Just share with me. I'm Demetria." Demetria said, with a huge smile. She couldn't believe that she had just made another friend. She had gone to school with the people since Kindergarten and yet here comes a new-girl hanging with Demetria, the queen of nerds. Or at least that's what Sophia calls her.

"I'm Cosette. We better get going then." Cosette says, holding her old lunch over the trash. She let go and let the baggy fall down in to the depths of the trashcan. Where all kinds of hungry organisms sit and wait. They walk off to the cafteria, with vast idiotic smiles on their faces.