The Worst Things In Life Come Free To Us

***So, this is a true story, but I have changed all the character's names. No one can know who this is really about. She would kill me. Anyway Bye***

~~~~Prologue~~~~

Cosette focused her eyes on the sky. Overcast skies always have a way if making her jubilant. Just not today. It wasn't her fault that Sophia hated her so much. In fact Sophia had tried to be her friend in the beginning of the year. As the days dragged on Sophia began to make Cosette's life hell. Until finally Cosette just wanted to kill herself. Though without even an ounce of courage, Cosette didn't want to face death. For perhaps it was as dreadful as life.

Cosette's parents, Kirstien and Boston, much to her dismay, are divorced. Which means she occasionally visits her dad by hopping on a plane to another state. This, she says often, is the worst part. It makes it harder to create a strong relationship with her father. As of last night she had told her father that she wished to move there. Her father seemed quite ecstatic about the idea. Her mother, not so much. She took it quite harshly.

Sophia came up to Cosette and smiled wickedly. She never really did say much to Cosette. Instead she bullied her by spreading horrid rumours. That spread throughout a vast amount of the school. Cosette, however, refuses to defend herself against Sophia. Cosette has tried speaking to a teacher, informing the principal, and asking Sophia to stop. None of it ever seemed to help. In fact, it just made it worse. Even telling her own mom never seemed to do anything but make it even more unbearable. Cosette has never truly known the feeling of having a friend. Nobody seemed to like her for who she is.

"You're in my way hobo." Sophia said, with an exasperated tone. She's not normally this mean, just to Cosette. Hobo is her nickname for Cosette, because Cosette could never truly afford anything with quality. Just stuff that usually ripped or made her muffin top apparent.

Cosette slowly moved out of the way, wishing she had the courage to punch Sophia in the face. Then maybe she could get some relief from this hell. It's no surprise that Cosette's mother would be very aggravated at her for doing it though. See her mother always believes in solving things with kind words and unspoken problems.

"Sorry Sophia." Cosette says, almost under her breath. Sophia smirks, and chuckles lightly. Cosette could never stand up for herself, unless of course she got her wave of courage. Though that's quite unlikely, because - like her growth spurt - it's obvious that won't happen for awhile.

"Ms. Gray, where is your mother?" Calls Mrs.Reed from a couple feet yo the left. Cosette simply looks around, searching. Ms.Hart, Cosette's mom, has a tendency to forget important details. Like picking up her daughter for instance. Which isn't very appealing to the teacher's who have to sit and wait with Cosette.

"She will be here soon," Cosette says confidentially, "hopefully." She says under her breath as Ms.Reed walks away. The snow, despite Cosette's continuous whines of protest, fell to the ground. Eventually, after a long two hours of waiting desperately in the snow, Cosette's mother comes rushing around the corner.

"Cosette, I told you to walk home today!" Ms.Hart says, in her stern voice. Sadly, Cosette's home is 13 miles away from the school, so she couldn't walk. The bus refused to drive her unless she had her pass, and Sophia took that 4 months ago.

"Mother you didn't. Even if you had, it's 13 miles. One child is incapable of walking that." Cosette stated, knowing just how to push her mother's button. Arguing with her is the best way to get her angry fast. Like some uptight mothers, she hates to admit she's wrong. Like not wanting to fold after going all in even though you actually have very bad set of cards.

"Young lady, I did tell you! You had me worried sick! C'mon, maybe skipping dinner would help you think about what you have put me through." Ms.Hart says, pulling Cosette with her. Once they got to Kirstien's white Subaru, Cosette was pushed in to the car, and Ms.Hart got in to the driver's seat. Cosette loves food, so skipping dinner is a considerably harsh punishment.

***Last Day Of School (1 Week Later)***

*3 more minutes*, Cosette told herself. She knew that if she could last that, she would be released from this prison forever. Due to the fact that she would be moving to her dad's house over the summer. A fresh start. Cosette has always dreaded even the mere thought of school. The uniforms are dreadful, the kids make bullying less like a hobby and more like a religion, and never forget the teachers don't really teach anything. No, the popular girls don't wear bubblegum pink and sshort skirts. Instead it's usually clothing that includes flowered dresses, jeans, shorts, and t-shirts. Almost too simple right? Just don't forget the accessories.

Cosette's dirty blonde hair decided to find it's way in to her eyes as she drew in her notebook. The bell didn't ring when Cosette had expected it to. Instead the minutes slowly passed by, only when the teacher had handed out the summer reading list and assignment book had the bell rang.

Cosette's grey eyes roamed across the endless sea of kids. She desperately tried to block out the sound of lockers slamming. It didn't work. Instead, it seemed to make it louder. Once she grabbed her backpack, she bolted out the front door where Cosette's mother stood, for once. Usually it would take, on average, 15 minutes for her mother to remember to pick her up.

"Now are you sure you want to move to your dads?" Her mother asks, holding up on of her many suitcases. It was then that Cosette realized they would have to drive. The idea didn't sound very appealing, but if meant living with her dad she would wholeheartedly do it.

"Yes, very much so." Cosette said, and Ms.Hart nodded. She led Cosette to the car, and quickly marched in.

•••August 20th (A day before school starts)•••

Cosette's father continued typing away on his computer. He didn't even notice that Cosette had mysteriously popped up behind him. Work is his number 1 priority. His daughter being number 2. Which can be a good thing, except he's quite overprotective. Which makes minimal sense considering Cosette wouldn't voluntarily make a bad choice. Peer pressure doesn't work on her, and whenever she even thinks about doing something bad, she gets caught. Which isn't exactly the best thing in the entire world.

"Dad, can I please go for a walk?" Cosette says, pleading him to say yes with her eyes. He sighs, probably from Cosette interrupting him, and looks at her. Sadly, her eyes don't work on him. Though, that doesn't mean yes.

"You may, but only if you tell me what was wrong with that sentence." Her father said. He didn't want her going out which is why he gave her that answer. Cosette thought for a moment and a light bulb might as well have appeared over her head.

"I said 'can' instead of 'may'." Cosette says confidentially. He dad nods and she skips out, grabbing her keys on the way out. The road seems as though it hadn't been used in years. No car even dared disturb the silence. Cosette began to squirm as she realized how much she didn't like being alone. It gave her time to tthink of everything from the past. All the painful memories, and the very few marvelous ones. What are the good times worth if there aren't any bad ones? That's a question Cosette wonders as she sits down on the wet grass. As she got up she looked down at the ground.

After a couple seconds of being completely oblivious, she runs in to a hard object. Which just happens to be a guy. His eyes are a deep brown. The way his hair is messed up, but not I-just-got-out-of-bed hair. He would probably be able to rock that to though, Cosette thought. She didn't truly know how to speak to a guy. Unless of course the guy was a biology teacher who asked her a question. Then she.could talk for hours.

"Sorry." He said and ran off. She shrugged it off, but in side she couldn't help but feel a bit insecure. Why did he leave, Cosette asks herself.

** So this chapter didn't really have anything totally interesting but it will get interesting. I swear this isn't a normal cliché book about love. There's no evil Ex. Or whatever. And before you ask, there's no long lost twin either. Anyway, I will be uploading the next chappie soon. Bye!**

~Alex Anne